Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: The Midas chronicles

Midas has been pretty spot on recently, had a few wobbles in the arena where he was broncing when he didn't want to pass something on the outside of the arena, but that's settling and he seems to be trying much harder!

With me still struggling with time to ride everyday, I have found a part sharer! Not a financial one, just a riding one! I had three interested and a hard decision as all were lovely and not bad riders (with lots of different reasons to want to ride him). I picked someone who has done level 3 training (just because as an assessor for the course I know what's she been through to get that knowledge & understanding- and yes I know qualifications aren't everything) who is keen to do a bit of everything so he doesn't get bored. Hopefully he can get out jumping as find him more focused with that than the flat sometimes!

We are showing today! I have the usual turmoil of only half a mane but it's good experience none the less! Doing in hand and ridden so fingers crossed for a behaved day

We have spent all last week getting him used to this sign so we don't Bronc across the arena when getting close to it - pleased to say that doesn't bother him anymore (just the waterers at the bottom end in next door field to tackle next)

Today was our first Showing show of the year. It was all about having a bit of fun, and easing Midas gently back into competition (the show is at our yard and not too busy today)
    The in-hand went as well as expected with a 2nd in Condition & Turnout.
    He seemed pretty calm so just planned two ridden classes, tack & turnout and m&m.
    The warm-up was horrendous! For no reason I could see or explain, Midas reared up twice, once bolt upright and nearly unseating me, he then preceded to bronc, again nearly having me off (this happens but first time he was that determined). Thankfully as I shouted stop, he just stopped, stood and waited for me to regain my balance. He didn't really improve in the warm up except for a couple of lovely canters.
    We came 2nd in Tack & Turnout (not hard as Duns always look fab after a good groom).
    We had a break between classes so he could relax back on the yard - eat hay and have a drink etc.
    In the m&m, we didn't start off great, not holding the canter, wrong leads and shying at anything. The same happened at the start of the individual piece, but as he settled, he went really well..with some lovely paces shown. Unfortunately his wobble at the start put us down the bottom on the line at 3rd.

We have dressage next Sunday, hoping he remembers the safety he feels within the boards and pulls out a couple of good tests

What an amazing lesson we've just had!!!
    It's been nearly a year since a last lesson before Midas had a holiday and then went off poorly, so was excited but also a little apprehensive as to how far behind we had gotten...
    I can't believe how good he was, it was like his last lesson was a week ago instead of a ear ago, we just picked up where we left off, flex ion, counter bend, collection and even keeping a consistent contact! I adore having Regular lessons, keeps us focused and we even have a new exercise to work on
    No pics today....never anyone to take pictures when I want them so I'll just leave a knackered Midas photo right here