Thread: loading/travelling, woes/worries

Default loading/travelling, woes/worries

We managed to get Legend a vets appointment on Tuesday but could only find transport in a trailer.
    I've only traveled him in a trailer once which was a 5 mile trip to our current yard in November He took a while to load and was really sweated up when we arrived.
    He usually travels in a 3.5 ton side loader and loads and travels really well.
    I decided to do a bit of loading practice before Tuesday. Managed to get him on without too much trouble today, I found that if I use pressure release he has a bit of a strop and then stomps on. I made him stand on, praised him and then backed him off. Looking back I probably should have left it at that but I decided to do it again to get him going on without hesitating. This time though he went on but reared up and charged back out. I tried again and same thing so I got his feed and made him stand on and eat his feed, then wait and back off calmly. I left it there as I wanted to end on a good note.
    I'm just now a bit worried that he's a) not going to stand and give us time to put the back bar accross and ramp up and b) that he'll try and charge off when the ramps up, not be able to and then freak out and injure himself.

I really wish he were going in a side loader as i'm really not that keen on trailers. Part of me wants to just rearrange it all for the week after when we should be able to get a side loader.

Not really sure what the point of this is, someone tell me i'm being stupid please!

Any advice for loading him would be gratefully appreciated though.
    Also I wasn't going to travel with him as he is being picked up at the same time my sister finishes work so I was going to take my car and pick her up on the way but do you think I should travel with him just incase?

Do you have a trailer to practice in? if so, i'd keep taking him through it and build up the time standing, id then take him in with the front bar up & show him that you go out the front way and not back out.

You could also try some magic calm to take the edge off him? may stop you getting nervous about it all too a little?

I don't know why I worried! Tried again today and he had his usual 'no I don't want to' then about 2 minutes later he reared up (he does like to be dramatic ) and then stomped on. I gave him some treats while the bar was put accross and then he stood there perfectly happily, we shut him in while I made his tea and then gave him his tea while he was stood on it (he'll be running up the ramp in no time ) I took him off the front today, I think I might switch it around so he doesn't get too used to going off either way.
    I feel like an idiot for worrying so much last night, I was coming up with all sorts of unlikely scenarios! Really pleased with him today, one less thing to worry about on tuesday!