Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first time

Default first time

just wanted to share this of my 2 yr old first time with me sitting on his back so proud of him
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet and he's very honest!... but is there any need to be sitting on him at 2? I have backed two horses perfectly fine by waiting until they are physically able to carry a rider.

Erm... 1)You seem to have forgotten your hat. 2) He's a bit young is he not... 3 is the very earliest I would even just sit on a horse. Echo RS he looks very sweet and honest.

Looks like a good pony. Not how I would back but know many who have been "backed" exactly like that and have turned into nice little horses.
    What are your plans for him? Bet he will take anything in his stride.

PS, please come and sit on my same-aged mare ... if you dare!!

l'll admit l should have worn my hat bit silly really but what l cant understand is people say 2 is a bit young to even just sit on him but you have racehorses that are backed and ready to race at 2 why is different for all other horses??? its not like lm off doing a XC course on him or even walking round on him l dont understand it

He looks really sweet.

What do you plan to do with him?

I probably wouldn't but i can't see much wrong with sitting on a 2 year old for a few minutes, and it's up to you if you wear a hat.

I 100% disagree with them racing at 2 however, and never understand how that's an argument to say it's okay to back horses of that age.

Because his growth plates won't convert to bone for another few years and mentally he is just a baby. Just because he looks big on the outside, doesn't mean he is physically able to carry weight.

http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_..._2008_pdf1.pdf

I think that is the point really, racehorses SHOULDN'T be backed and ready to race at 2, it isn't fair on them mentally or physically. I don't understand the need to get on a baby horse so early when there is the potential of 20+ ridden years to be had anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    l'll admit l should have worn my hat bit silly really but what l cant understand is people say 2 is a bit young to even just sit on him but you have racehorses that are backed and ready to race at 2 why is different for all other horses??? its not like lm off doing a XC course on him or even walking round on him l dont understand it
    Why do you feel the need to sit on him now? Have some patience you'll have years to have him as a riding horse- why potentially risk harming him by sitting on him now. It's widely acknowledged that racehorse suffer multiple problems as a result of their early riding careers. Some way well get away with it, but why risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by patchypony View Post
    Because his growth plates won't convert to bone for another few years and mentally he is just a baby. Just because he looks big on the outside, doesn't mean he is physically able to carry weight.

http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_..._2008_pdf1.pdf
    That's really interesting - thanks for posting.