Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: first time

Quote Originally Posted by Toby-Toes View Post
    I know, but it still stands that she is too big for him as a 2yo then? And so surely shouldn't be sitting on him. That's what I meant.
    Yes she is, and no she shouldn't.

Who cares! She sat on him once. I think everyone needs to chill out. I've ridden horses who were 3-4 years old who were in 100% work and that was over 10 years ago and I still see those same horses once in awhile and they are all fine and loving what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    l'm not calling the rider fat - l'm saying that the horse is being expected to hold too much weight. lt would be interesting to see what height the pony is and what the % weight is. My Sec D was backed at 4 but could have in theory been backed at 3 but looked weedier than he looked even as a 2yo. l do think backing depends on the horse but there is a huge amount of fusion that goes on. l know a saddler that refused to fit a saddle to a 5 year old as they considered the horse not to have sufficient abdominal musculature to support a rider. The horse was lunged for a few months and then backed when he was more capable :} This is the horse in question...

Is that before he was backed? (nicely marked pony by the way! )

Quote Originally Posted by Izod View Post
    Who cares! She sat on him once. I think everyone needs to chill out. I've ridden horses who were 3-4 years old who were in 100% work and that was over 10 years ago and I still see those same horses once in awhile and they are all fine and loving what they do.
    The horse is 2, not 3 or 4. There is a difference.
    Or should we all agree that it's a good idea and encourage everyone to sit on their two year old youngsters.

We do things differently over here in some areas so I don't see a problem with someone sitting on a horse that is 2 once. I don't think it's going to destroy the horse.

Ok, won't destroy it as a one off- I think most people have agreed with that. But the point is, sitting on 2 year olds should be discouraged. Yes, it might be a one off, or the OP might do it everyday from now. Who knows. All we do know is horses ideally shouldn't be carrying a rider at that age. Cobs are notorious for maturing slowly too. He looks young. Nothing personal to OP at all.

I don't think sitting on a 2-y-o once or twice is going to do any lasting damage. I just don't see the point of doing it! Why do people feel the need, what does it achieve, what is it meant to prove. Usually it seems to be a "look how quiet and sensible my babyhoss is" kind of thing - which is ok, I understand why people want to show off their youngster's good temperament (I definitely want to show Mouse off!) - but IMO the most important quality you need when bringing on a youngster is patience, and I can't help but think that feeling the need to put a person on its back at 2 years old suggests the owner doesn't have enough of it!

l apologise if l offended anyone here wasnt intentional l just wanted to try and understand it more
    And as for me being too big for him l dont really think l am as he is already 14h2 almost 14h3 and lve been riding a mare for the last 3yrs that is 14h3 and NEVER been told lm too big or too heavy for her! lve got no plans for backing him yet as quite happy doing natural horsemanship from the ground with him to which he seems to be coming along in leaps and bounds with

Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    l apologise if l offended anyone here wasnt intentional l just wanted to try and understand it more
    And as for me being too big for him l dont really think l am as he is already 14h2 almost 14h3 and lve been riding a mare for the last 3yrs that is 14h3 and NEVER been told lm too big or too heavy for her! lve got no plans for backing him yet as quite happy doing natural horsemanship from the ground with him to which he seems to be coming along in leaps and bounds with
    You haven't offended anyone at all- so don't apologise. I don't think you will be too big for him at all. He's obv got some filling out to do. I think you'll be more than fine.