Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: first time

I agree, I knew a horse who was backed and ridden properly at 2 - 2 1/2 and she was completely screwed by the time she was 3. Just because race horses are doesn't make it right.
    My filly won't be sat on till she is 3 and trust me it's tempting even now and she's only a year old, I would NEVER sit on her but when shes 14.2 and looks like a pony it's just so tempting to think "I wonder what she's like to sit on"
    So i can completely understand the temptation, i'd just enjoy doing the ground work though and spending the time with him Time flies, it feels like yesterday that I was just re-backing my 4 year old and dealing with her problems. Now she's 6 and i'm dealing with 6 year old tantrums (she doesn't think she can canter anymore, although she conveniently forgets that she cannot canter when we're out hacking! )

Ive had a girl who weighs about 4 stone sit on scout (2 years) for a few seconds... I wouldnt consider putting my weight on him, even though hes a big chunk

Another thing to consider is the amount of weight he would be capable of holding even if he were 6... You look awfully tall for him and may possibly borderline weight for him to carry even as an adult - as a 2 year old that hasn't finished growing l would say you are definitely too heavy.

The argument that jockeys ride at 2 doesn't hold weight as jockeys are on a very strict diet and rarely weigh more that 9st riding horse usually 16+hh, not a native that looks about 13hh2

Another thing to think about is if you do too much with them as babies they can be overhumanised and can become bolshy. lf it is taken too far it can even result in them having difficulties communicating with other horses.

Don't worry, you won't have caused any long term damage by sitting on him just once, just don't make a habit of it!

Although in contrary to others, I know a couple of horses that were lightly backed and turned away at 2 and a half who are now 5, in full work and 100% fit and healthy. (for now anyway)

I think it's later in life the damage becomes apparent. That being said, if it's a one off and you've proven your point, then I'm sure it's unlikely to hurt him long term.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    Another thing to consider is the amount of weight he would be capable of holding even if he were 6... You look awfully tall for him and may possibly borderline weight for him to carry even as an adult.
    That's a little harsh don't you think? To me he looks a lovely type with plenty of bone, more than capapable of carrying her weight when he's all grown up. He's only 2 so he's got plenty of filling out to do.

Quote Originally Posted by beating_hooves View Post
    He's only 2 so he's got plenty of filling out to do.
    Exactly. So why should he be sat on now when he DOES have plenty of filling out to do? Of course 1 time is unlikely to have any lasting effects but I think people are right to disagree as it is wrong imo.
    My old YO has a clydesdale who is 17.1, and 2yo- if she sat on him he'd probably barely feel it, but she isn't going to do ANYTHING with him until next year at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby-Toes View Post
    Exactly. So why should he be sat on now when he DOES have plenty of filling out to do? Of course 1 time is unlikely to have any lasting effects but I think people are right to disagree as it is wrong imo.
    My old YO has a clydesdale who is 17.1, and 2yo- if she sat on him he'd probably barely feel it, but she isn't going to do ANYTHING with him until next year at the earliest.
    I was replying to RoughRiders comment about her being too heavy when he's older.

That's a little harsh don't you think? To me he looks a lovely type with plenty of bone, more than capapable of carrying her weight when he's all grown up. He's only 2 so he's got plenty of filling out to do.
    l'm not calling the rider fat - l'm saying that the horse is being expected to hold too much weight. lt would be interesting to see what height the pony is and what the % weight is. My Sec D was backed at 4 but could have in theory been backed at 3 but looked weedier than he looked even as a 2yo. l do think backing depends on the horse but there is a huge amount of fusion that goes on. l know a saddler that refused to fit a saddle to a 5 year old as they considered the horse not to have sufficient abdominal musculature to support a rider. The horse was lunged for a few months and then backed when he was more capable :} This is the horse in question...

Last edited by RoughRider; 24-04-2013 at 18:28. Reason: l found the pic...

I was replying to RoughRiders comment about her being too heavy when he's older.
    I know, but it still stands that she is too big for him as a 2yo then? And so surely shouldn't be sitting on him. That's what I meant.