Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northallerton ODE

Default Northallerton ODE

Last Sunday (28th) Thomas and I (with the hubby) headed to Northallerton for our second run of the season @ Northallerton BE90.

I was really looking forward to it, though I'd been away Tues-Thurs with work, so only really got Thomas out Monday and Friday evening, and a gentle ride Saturday. I don't like riding him the day before really so he has plenty of energy in the dressage...

We were a little later arriving than expected due to the winds slowing us down a bit, but I managed to walk my XC before DR. It looked really nice, and without too many questions; my first corner in competition and two skinnies on a dog leg over a mound were about as bad as it got.

The dressage warm up was the other side of the hedge to the XC start, so Thomas was a little distracted, happily bending the wrong way all the time to look at it. The we were moved to another warm up by the arenas to which I was told I'd have another 10 mins or so, as I hadn't even had a canter in the 5mins I'd been there! Anyway, I went over and didn't, I was next in, and the horse coming up the centre line! The steward said that she couldn't ask me to go in early so I used the few extra minutes until it was my turn to canter each way. Thomas felt quite tense and really wasn't softening to the left (common problem with him), and the more I asked the more tense he got, so I just left it and headed in.

The test was OK in part, tense in others. We had a trot-walk-trot in the F-A corner, nice transition down to walk, pile of poop to trot - Thomas decided trotting was for losers and carried on walking! Even after several polite asks!

We came out with a score of 43, which I knew it wouldn't be a great score, but was still disappointed as he had gone beautifully on the Friday evening...

I had a walk down to look at the SJ as the 100's were still running but the course was to remain the same. Looked OK, relatively big arena with no sharp turns although the striding from 7 to 8 left a lot to the imagination - I saw some on 5 and some on 7 and one on 8 (although the last one was a chip in really)!

We went in and were flying, then Thomas just dropped a front foot over 5 (a big bright yellow castle), and got close to 6a, so I gave a kick and a tap on the shoulder in the one stride, but think I put him off, as again he dropped the front foot. Round to 7 and he did the same and ran on too much to 8, leaving himself no space, so took that out. I was furious, and DEFINITELY did not want compulsory retirement, so I gathered us together in the corner and he jumped 9 and 10 beautifully again. I need to learn to ride better after a knock and not worry/try and correct too soon.

Hubby did film SJ but got frustrated so stopped after 8 (all the knocks). So I haven't put it on YT.

Onto the XC, I was more desperate than ever to go clear because of the SJ and DR, and within time. Thomas was definitely fit enough for the task, so I knew I wanted to go for it. We were 4th out. He set off keen out of the box, but not too quick, but he knew what going in that box meant! He then fell over the first!! I ended up between his ears, but thankfully he got his feet out and ran forward which threw me backwards. He did get a smack behind the leg and told (in Geordie even though I'm not from Newcastle originally): 'HO'WAY THOMAS GET ON WITH IT!' - I don't remember hearing his feet/legs hitting another fence all the way round!

The corner was a bit strange - I'd been told from someone on the day before as you turned off the fence line to it, the shrub/tree thing would be on the right about 2 strides out to guide you to the corner (narrow bit on the right). I came off the fence line and lined up, but the tree was on the left. I thought I'm heading for the wrong fence!!! But I wasn't, it just hadn't moved. Thomas had a look at it as we rode past, so I had to be tight with my right aids, but he flew it all the same. The two skinnies weren't so bad, I had more space in between than I thought, so the dog leg was fine (turning isn't our best point!).

Thomas flew the rest of the way, although I was cross he chipped in an extra stride at the steeplechase - I love flying at them and having a long jump over them needing to lean back! It's the only fence I have the confidence like that for! Never mind, he still jumped it well.

Hubby was stood on the way home as we came out of the woods, and got me there and coming to the second last and last.

Overall we finished on 59 and in 24th place. I'm still working to finish under 50, which hopefully will come soon, and if we can become more consistent in the DR then we should be able to get this.

Here's some photos, and a nice one from the pro:

(CREDIT: Matt Nutall Photography)

This is the one that started the knocks!

I hope everyone else that went had a good time too!

Like!!!!!!!!!!!! such a nice horse! Great riding too!

Quote Originally Posted by MikhMonty View Post
    Like!!!!!!!!!!!! such a nice horse!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MikhMonty View Post
    Great riding too!
    Not quite sure about this tho!!!

Fantastic, cant wait to be doing this!! You make the xc look very easy

Aw Thomas, I think they were a bit harsh in the dressage. It looked like a lovely test to me and he moves beautifully, but like you say just needs to be sharper off the aids.

Well done for the XC, that's the important bit really. Where you off to next?

really well done

Quote Originally Posted by beating_hooves View Post
    Aw Thomas, I think they were a bit harsh in the dressage. It looked like a lovely test to me and he moves beautifully, but like you say just needs to be sharper off the aids.

Well done for the XC, that's the important bit really. Where you off to next?
    The test didn't feel as nice as it usually does; for a change the canter work felt much better than the trot work, although even that could still do with being more forward It was odd that transition, he was sharp in the warm-up, is at home, and was on the second one... ah well, that's Thomas for us all!! (think concentration had a part to play - he is a proper nosey parker!)

I love the XC!! I'd be distraught if I got CR from SJ!!

I'm at Burgham this Sunday. Looking forward to it, aiming for a little lower dressage, but don't think the SJ will become magically clean How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    really well done
    Thank you - have you managed to get out eventing this year?

I thought they were really harsh in the dressage too, Harry did his best ever test and ended up with 35 which I was really gutted about as thought we were going to score under 30

Well done, he looks fab though!

Maybe I am just as harsh on myself then!

I didn't feel it was any worse test than Eden Valley (scored 40), and hubby said that when I was cross about it as soon as I came out, but to hear the 43 in the SJ was disappointing...

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post

I'm at Burgham this Sunday. Looking forward to it, aiming for a little lower dressage, but don't think the SJ will become magically clean How about you?
    Richmond Novice on the 11th May