Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stirrups for arthritis ankles

Default Stirrups for arthritis ankles

One of my colleagues has a patient who has Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, who has started riding and loves it, but is finding using stirrups painful on her ankles. She asked me for advice and I suggested no stirrup work, but was also wondering about the best make of stirrups for arthritis? Was thinking of some of the flexi ones like this - http://www.speedgate.co.uk/ecomm/for...rrup-irons.htm but obv you can get cheaper ones than that! Any ideas?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/JuniperZ/Dunkery%20Hoopoe/Hoopysignature.jpg

I have flexi irons because of my knackered knee, I can really feel the difference if I ride with regular stirrups (in a bad way)
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Best make, Sprenger without a doubt. I've never tried a cheaper version though so not sure how they compare. I know some people don't get on with them though.....I have a friend who has arthritic knees and she will only have the very light plastic stirrups, sprengers are too heavy for her.

I don't know much about the mechanics of arthritis, would angled stirrup treads help or put more pressure on the joint?

Sprenger flexi-stirrups.

I have cheap copy and am happy (but also didn't have pain to start with)

I have cheap sprenger ones. I have fibro and poss arthritis (under investigation!) and I cannot ride in normal stirrups. It's either flexi or no stirrups as when I ride in normal one i really feel the difference.

I rode in sprenger ones and then the cheapie ones and tbh the sprenger were much heavier and not as nice to ride in ime.

I have joints problems in ankles, knees and hips and have found the Sprenger ones to work really well. The Sprengers flex four ways which I found helped more than the cheaper ones that just flex forwards and backwards although the newer ones might be different as I've had mine a long time now.

I actually preferred my not sprengers (cant remember what they are) than sprengers. I didnt think the sprengers were worth the lot more money they are than the other flexi's that I have tried, so it's worth trying some different ones if you can borrow them rather than just going out and spending lots of money just because.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

I use a wedged tread on my right stirrup (fatter end to the outside) as I get ankle pain after badly damaging my ankle after a fall. It makes a huge difference to pain levels!

I have a pretty severe pelivc injury which has caused arthritis in my hips. I did try the flexi stirrups to see if it would help, but I didnt notice a difference. You have to really have a strong lower leg(ankles included)I found, to be able do well with flexi stirrups. I went back to regular stirrups.

Sprengers for old joints - My experience is that the cheap copies are not the same. I have owned both. The flex is different, they may be more Springy and the safety margin against rusting inside and giving way is less. Sprengers, tho flexible, are not bendy or unstable. They feel much like normal stirrups when you are using them.
    I use normal non safety riding school stirrups for my lessons. Partly because I want to be able to get on any horse offered me and didnt want to become dependent on the Sprengers.
    But for hacking mile after mile, week in , week out, which is what I do with lots of trot and canter, the Sprenger reduce the wear and stress on one's joints. Our RI works for RDA, she uses them herself and I followed her advice on this.