Thread: Burgham ODE Report :)

Default Burgham ODE Report :)

OK, firstly, I've written a full report on our blog: teamtunnaheventing.blogspot.com

Some of you may have read that this week I've really been struggling with Thomas' bend to the left, which I suspected was due to my own incorrectness. It was. I had a 20 minutes session with my instructor, who advised adding the running reins right away to break the cycle of me being stubborn & Thomas being stubborn. I'm always a little resistant to this, and any kind of quick fix, but after about 5 minutes, she popped on and rode him to have a feel. He is a little wooden, but I'm also trying to fix and hold him in the bend. Overall, she said to get the fin back into working - which I 100% agreed was needed. I got back on, and started to get the feeling of making that left arm looser... I am digressing! The point was that even though I still have a lot of work to do on my left arm, I was able to feel much more positive for Burgham.

Because I felt Thomas was unsettled and not fully warmed up the week before @ Northallerton, I wanted to make sure I worked him in well. 35 minutes I gave him but learnt that this was perhaps too long. Still, it made him fall into his work nicely, and we put in a nice & relaxed test (a little too relaxed at times - nearly halted during our medium walk!). We score 41 which I was a little disheartened at, but pleased with how our test had gone. Looking at the section, the scores were higher than normal, so I felt at least that I was positioned well into it (not necessarily competitive).

Onto show jumping...
    Bit of a nightmare. 3 down - wouldn't have maybe had number 1, if there wasn't 2 people trying to put up a marquee at the far side!! I thought it would be best to go in and trot past. No, Thomas objected. The buzzer went, so instead of riding behind 7 to come to number one, I had to come in front, which didn't make a hugely tight turn, BUT he was unsettled, taking a lot of leg to get to concentrate to canter, and he just got too close....He jumped the rest of the round, including our first triple bar NEXT TO THE MARQUEE well, and was unlucky to have number 8 down, but bad riding to the last put me right underneath and even jumping on an angle to give us some space wasn't enough - we had it down.

We were now on 53 and I was determined to not add anything else. And we didn't with a good XC round - clear and inside the time! Well done Thomas!

It was REALLY hard going and I'd never had to think about how to ride like this, so was a bit apprehensive. I didn't really push on until after I was up the first hill and over number 9... I was 5 seconds inside. My favourite fence is always the steeplechase - I love being able to come up to it in a quicker pace, without too much of a pull and flying over it. Last week, Thomas chipped in an extra one, but this week, he flew it! I was loving it!!

OH managed to get a quick video of us coming out & over the first:

I've taken a nice still of the video too:

I waited for my dressage sheet, but was tired and ready for home so I didn't wait for placing - I knew I wouldn't be in it as was lying in 9th with about half the scores yet to add in... I was really pleased to see that evening that I had in fact come 15th!! Our best position yet!! Great day out for us all!

Well done, he looked a lot more forward in the dressage! he's got a cracking walk, what mark does the judge give him for it?

I don't think it was your fault at all in the SJ, the marquee had obviously unsettled him, which wasn't very fair and highly inconsiderate of the people messing around with it!

Thanks! I always think his walk lacks everything, & he did almost halt after K in this test, but maybe I'm just too critical as the judge gave him a 7 for it too! Our SJ was the first round in a while that has lacked that much fluidity. I was pleased to hear that they had been made to stop putting it up, but you can hear the wind, why on earth they ever tried to put it up is beyond me a little...