Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donegal Trec Championships 2013

Default Donegal Trec Championships 2013

Where Mocha said 'pffft' What arthritis?

A truly taxing terrifying experience in the infamous hills of Donegal. At 17yrs, you don't think there can be many more 'firsts' to cross off, but there was...

Mocha's longest journey ever, took us 6hrs to get there...

We had a rocky start to the year, and even up to the day before we left, I didn't think it was really going to happen... now that its over, I still can't believe what we have done!

After struggling with the ground at our last event at the beginning of April, I had the vet out who had some concerns about her feet first and foremost. With age, her soles are running flat, and though, he couldn't rule out arthritis, his first priority was to get feet sorted out and go from there.

My farrier reset her shoes with gel cushions and leather sole pads to give her some heel and protection from the ground, and with her new Nike airs she has actually been flying since.

Still, while she was uncomfortable, she had lost some weight and was feeling pretty miserable, so it took some time to build her up, and she was *just* there, the week before the event, hacking 10km at a good pace without issue. Her cortaflex has been cut down to every other day and I now have doubts about whether joint wear was to blame at all, I'd say she is about normal for her age with how she fared over the long weekend.

Mocha's first time to see the sea, and first time on the beach! I've always wanted to ride on the beach, so it was an opportunity I didn't want to pass on, competing came second, we set our goals for fun, especially with the journey - we wanted to take care of the horses.

I travelled up with GrumpyHooves and her horse Tango, Mocha was in season, so they were in lurve for the journey... well, Mocha was... Tango, less so!

Got really excited at this point!

The discovery STRUGGLED to get to the camping field

Mocha's first glimpse of the sea

The view, the beach was just below the edge of the field

We camped, pitched the tent inside the horsebox, and coralled the horses here for the weekend.

A lot of time spent doing this!

The beach!

First time in the sea

She was so brave, she knew it was water, and she was keen to get in, marching forward... but the waves would send her running backwards ... eventually we caught a break, and got in between some small waves, and once she was in, that was that!!

On sunday morning we have the PTV and COP...

The PTV course started on grass and ended on the beach - the grass part was all mad hills Photos don't capture so well!

I dunno what I'm like A four year old on christmas morning maybe

Warmup for PTV

I went up there (at speed - not by choice!!!) ... to see how Mocha was on the hills ... took me a whole 5mins to get up the courage to come down

Cantering the slalom

I'm actually trying to keep this as short as possible ....

Lunchtime!

POR route

After the POR, they still seemed to be in great spirits - excellent, considering all they had done, journey and everything.

So we went straight down to the beach before we dismounted, in order to stand them in the sea and cool their legs ... that didn't quite go to plan, but I can't get the photo to load right now - post later! (nearly lost this whole thread because of STUPID PHOTOBUCKET )

BBQ and prize giving in the evening

... I have to say, the social aspect of Trec is something no other sport I know of affords... they had a marquee set up, and we got fabulous packed lunch for our orienteering, and a yummy BBQ... and yes.... excellent prizes

WE CAME FIRST

Winning as a pair, and also a special prize.... I won a beautiful painting for being the highest scoring individual rider from outside Donegal.

I'm over the moon, and even though I had an amazing time with Mocha, and she was AMAZING ... it was totally unexpected!

It was my first win at a full phase event, we generally do well at the PTV phase, but this was a PTV like no other.

COP is always our nemesis. Mocha really listened to me and we got full marks in the COP slow canter, which contributed to that win. I'm thrilled

The organiser arranged for us to have stables and BEDS on the last night the luxury! And we travelled the horses home on Monday afternoon.

The whole experience was like a dream!

I have loads more stuff to post, videos etc but will have to wait til later in the week.

The win was the perfect balance for all the worry I've had with Mocha. More then the placing, how she coped with everything was really reassuring - she was keen and full of energy all weekend. She wasn't stiff at all on Monday morning, her legs were ever so slightly filled ... but after all we did, that was fine. She travelled home without a sound, munching all the way.

When we got home, she didn't want to get out of the box and leave Tango, after their romantic weekend She stood on the ramp and squirted her affections dirty mare!

Turned her straight out and she trotted off down the field like nothing ever happened!

I'm so proud of her

OMG! Well done. You must be so proud. That was a brilliant thread and the pictures were fab!

Are you planning the next one?!

Wow, that sounds fanastic, loved reading this, looks amazing!!
    Well done on your and Mocha's win!

Quote Originally Posted by emmathechief View Post
    OMG! Well done. You must be so proud. That was a brilliant thread and the pictures were fab!

Are you planning the next one?!
    Can't - shattered!! Planning to go back though!! Every year... or for a week... or maybe we'll move there!!

I need to focus on Vega for awhile aswell, there is one next weekend that might be perfect for her - its local

We've a full summer of events planned with Trec, open championships blah blah - and we will just do what I think is appropriate for her depending on how she is, but I can't even think past tomorrow just for today!!

Oh here is the beach pic from sunday... the erm waves were a little louder then the day before

I narrowly escaped a cold dip!

Oh here, a picture from our last checkpoint on the POR. This was a 45min section on rough trails with a fast speed and Mocha is as fresh as a daisy! We were 4 minutes late for the checkpoint and that was with us making a conscious choice to take good breaks for the horses sake. Grumpyhooves is to thank for our timing - she is excellent at it!!!!

Tango and Mocha have a stonking walk, so even when we are taking a break, they still make time

Loved reading this, you must be buzzing!

Awesome thread , great pics , proud mummy and a massive well done : )) x

Lovely thread. Well done! I hope that means that everything's on the up and perhaps Mocha has given Vega something to aspire to!
    Seeking a 14-17hh schoolmaster allrounder to loan/lwvtb/buy for kind & experienced rider/carer in Surrey. Must be safe but a '2nd' horse is fine.

Amazing!! Well done!!!
    Native pony addict!

that's fantastic, well done! Great to read after your worries with her.

Epic adventure, need to do more of them. I think Tango really enjoyed his first Trec outing