Thread: A competition report - with a difference...

Default A competition report - with a difference...

It's over a week since this actually happened, but hey, better late than never! Thought I might as well share as it's something completely different from the normal competition posts, and someone else might be interested in giving it a go

At the beginning of May me and a fellow uni student took part in our first Modern Pentathlon

For those who don't know, Modern Pentathlon involves swimming, fencing, riding (show jumping) and a combined run/shoot event. This one was ran as a 'beginners/training' competition, so thankfully we were allowed a little bit of instruction in the shooting (as I've never shot before, this was quite useful!) and they separated the combined into a timed running event and a shooting event, rather than it being run - shoot your targets - run again and so forth. All the events were allocated 'points' according to performance (so times, number of hits etc) rather than according to positioning.

First up, the shooting. This was a little eventful; both me and C managed to shoot the curtains (me only once, him several times ) but we did hit the targets a few times - the coach and other competitors did say that shooting is just a case of 'getting your eye in', so hopefully with a bit of practice it will come!

Then we moved onto running - they set out an 800m course on grass, and just times us over that. Now, as an ex-800m runner (did counties etc) this was pretty easy for me! Ended up with the fastest time for a female, not far behind the male leader (couple of seconds - so not too bad!). C was a bit further behind, but he's not really a runner! In the newish format MP, you would run 800m legs in between shooting stations, so I'm pretty happy with that now (previously it used to be a 3k run tagged on to the end of the day, and I don't like 3ks )

Next I went and got ready for the riding - as I found out, there is a lot of running around getting changed at a MP! Fully suited and booted we headed down, walked the course (a couple of fences at 90cm, but mainly 80cm-ish) and got allocated a horse - mine came with the warning 'if you don't keep your legs on she will stop' Got on and found she was verrrrrry lazy - so a bit worried as to how we would ever get round the course we warmed up over a couple of fences, she got a reminder smack and growl, realised I wasn't going to let her take the mick and promptly transformed into a reasonably nice ride Three practice cross poles later I set off round the course, clear all the way until the last related distance where I pushed for four (as this is what it walked on) but was a wee bit long at the last and just had it down. So 40 penalties deducted for that!

As we had a bit of spare time to kill (and not as many athletes doing the riding as you would have at some competitions) we all got the chance to jump another horse round the course. I ended up one that would rather go round with his head on the floor - and used that as an opportunity to dive out with one of the other riders - so I took it as a bit of a schooling round. We had one down due to an argument about whether he could put his head down and out on the way in, but overall I was okay with that. The coach said to me afterwards that, although 'I could ride' () it might be worth, in competitions, just letting the horse do it's own thing, as most of the horses that get used are used to having to sort themselves out and will get themselves out of trouble if they need to, but argue if you tell them too much. But I'm a bit of a control freak so that might not be possible for me to do

Next we got changed (again) for the fencing. Me and C have only been fencing since the end of February, and most of the other competitors had been fencing for a lot longer than that! However, we did find that we had the advantage of height/reach on some of the younger ones - although did feel a bit cheeky for using that advantage at points C won probably just over half of his bouts, and I won just under half. So not great, but better than it might have been!

Finally, we moved on to swimming! The swimming is over 200m for my age group, but due to having some younger competitors it got reduced to 100m (as that is the distance for their age group), and then times just got doubled to work out points for us oldies Not going to lie, I was pretty glad of the reduced distance because I find 200m of front crawl pretty knackering to say the least! C was in an earlier heat and we didn't catch what time he got, but it wasn't tooooo bad. I ended up in the final (fastest) heat, and did come last in it () but finished with a time of 1:24, which was the second-fastest female swim, and would double up to 2:48 - so scored just under 1000pts for the swim, which is alright!

So, absolutely knackered, looking like a drowned rat, we found out the placings etc. Due to poor shooting scores (and fencing for me...) me and C didn't get placed, although we did each get completion medals I was then pretty surprised to be given a special medal for the running, as well as a massive bag of haribo starmix, which kept us going all the way home!

I'm hoping to keep up the training this summer, and then hopefully will be ready to be competitive at the next competition! The eventual aim is to have a team competing at the BUCS (student) championships next year

No photos unfortunately, but next time I will make sure I bring a camera!
    Last edited by sarahandbronson; 15-05-2013 at 22:23.

Nottingham (Uni)/Llandrindod Wells (Home)

A girl I went to school with (wouldn't call her a friend... ) is really into MP, she's very very good at it from what I see on FB!

Well done, it definitely doesn't look like an easy event to say the least, you must be knackered!

Sounds waaaay too difficult for me

But well done! Great report!!
    Native pony addict!

Love it!

Would love to do this but on my own horse not very good with a horse I dont know I used to compete doing Triathlons, dont think my shooting would be very good lol

Omg sounds knackering glad you enjoyed it though!

Omg! Just one of those elements of exercise sounds like torture! Well done though!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

My instructor does these with the pony club, except they do XC as opposed to SJ.
    Id love to give it a go but I couldn't shoot for toffee.

Thanks all - it was pretty knackering but lots of fun

Quote Originally Posted by essexlady View Post
    Would love to do this but on my own horse not very good with a horse I dont know I used to compete doing Triathlons, dont think my shooting would be very good lol
    I quite like the idea of having a horse that's nice and straight forward (as in if you ride it right, it will jump!) to jump rather than Wilby Although he is getting better thankfully!
    Pentathlon GB do organise lots of biathles (run-swim-run) and biathlons (pool swim and run) if you ever fancied skipping the cycling Think the distances are a fair bit shorter too - might do my first biathle in the summer because there's one fairly locally

Quote Originally Posted by racingstripes View Post
    My instructor does these with the pony club, except they do XC as opposed to SJ.
    Id love to give it a go but I couldn't shoot for toffee.
    A lot of people seem to come into it through either the PC tetrathlon route (only major differences are XC rather than SJ, on your own horse rather than an unknown one, and that you have fencing in a pentathlon ) - unfortunately my PC branch never did tetrathlon so I'm having to make up for lost time now!
    Give it a go! The shootings not tooo bad with it being stationary targets - even I managed to hit them a few times! Plus if you don't hit them you just get to run off after 50 seconds, so that will be my plan for the future