Thread: washing

Post washing

Anyone got any tips on getting my youngster used to being washed at the moment l am using a sponge just on his lower legs and hoofs but will alwsy keep lifting his feet up simualtanously like as if he was pacing on the spot and is very figety taking into account his age l dont expect a perfect stand still but it gets really hard to do when he gets like that and until l get him used to this dont want to venture any higher

I have issues with Midas and had trainers out too him as he is close to having a phobia! I've been told to start at shoulder encourage standing with praise so he understands that it goes away if he stops. When he is comfy start to venture out to other parts but always go back to the shoulder where he is more comfortable. Obv need to work both sides.
    this is what I do with Midas just with spray at moment, too early for sponges but he is a real wimp and special case lol x

I always start mine with a hosepipe rather than a sponge and I start at the shoulder and work down - it's just patience and repetition with a youngster

Yes something about a hose that Midas seems to tolerate more but still fears it..it's a long process to getting them settled but sounds like you're on the right track!

I always start with a hosepipe too. It's more constant than a sponge there's no putting the pone there, and then it running down all over, the single stream from a hosepipe is more acceptable to alot of horses.

Also if they move away it is easier to enforce the whole praising when standing still with a hosepipe as you can keep it with them a bit easier. You can have it set to a trickle and turn it up as they get braver with it etc, I've found more bothered with a sponge than they have with a hose.

Quote Originally Posted by madlady View Post
    I always start mine with a hosepipe rather than a sponge and I start at the shoulder and work down - it's just patience and repetition with a youngster
    Yup me too!

I've had those that do constant half circles but have stopped by about the third bath because i don't stop. Just go with them and not make it a big deal.
    Native pony addict!

As I said Midas is a special case but hose and constant following didn't work for him, we had to go back a step. He just looses the plot! We're getting there though

l'm rebacking a nutty TB who is the same with her feet - very snatchy... l have gone back a step an am reteaching her that a hand down the front of the leg means doesn't to lift. l run my hand down from the knee and say 'stand' and the second she starts to lift l repeat stand and go with her movement keeping my hand on the leg. She's only been here two days and seems to have got the idea... Next the plan is to move around the back of the leg whilst keeping a hand on the front. She's been 'hand hobbled' incorrectly in the past and is very funny about having her legs messed with full stop.