Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floors Castle ODE Report

Default Floors Castle ODE Report

Before I start, this was without a doubt my favourite event that I have been to. As soon as I arrived, I liked the setup, how relaxed it was yet actually quite a big event, I loved how it was set in front of the castle itself, and the course, the arena, just everything....! As much as I really like Richmond, I'm glad I made the decision to enter Floors now and do Richmond later in the year!

Onto the report...
    As usual, my blog has the full write up: http://teamtunnaheventing.blogspot.co.uk/

Our dressage time wasn't until 10.50 so although I plaited the night before, we have a leisurely start on Saturday, leaving the yard just after 7am. I'd allowed 2 hours, as the road up through Northumberland and the Borders is quite twisty, and I really did want to be rushed when I got there.

About half an hour into the journey, I ended up texting the secretary as we couldn't see more than 50 yards in front of us and the rain was as if someone had left the tap on. Thankfully I was assured that it was still to run, so we carried on.

I've never been to Floors before, and the events that I haven't been to, I tend to get quite excited about, looking forward to being somewhere different. I was excited, but also a little overwhelmed when I drove into the prestigious entrance:

Anyway, we headed to to pay the starting fee and collect my numbers, and headed out to walk the cross country, all the while taking in the castle, and finding out where each phase was.

The cross country started AND finished with my favourite fence - steeplechases!! Now I was VERY excited!! I walked the XC taking photos, though I forgot the first 3!! You can see all the fences here: http://s293.photobucket.com/user/sop.../Events%202013

I have to say the only disappointment was I enjoy a good gallop, and this didn't really have a clean open stretch. There were BE90 tracks right up to 2* so I had to keep going over where I had to go and not miss out any fences!!

Back to the wagon, and while I got changed, hubby did the studs and gave Thomas a nice brush. We were a little ahead so I had plenty of time to tack up and get on (makes a change!), and a nice 5 minute walk to the warm up. It was right in front of the castle, with my arena just off to the side. Some lucky ones got to do theirs in front, although the arena was marked with bigger boards and plenty of flower pots, so pleased I didn't have to consider those (not that Thomas would have bothered)!

Thomas and I are still working on left bend, but with a lesson last week, we felt MUCH more forward, even compared to our recent tests. He was lovely and soft and willing, so I was pleased I'd only gone for a 20 minute warm up this time! As I went to my arena, the heavens open, we were soaked!! And it stopped about 5 minutes after our test! My gloves - you could wring them out and the water was pouring from them! I sent the hubby off to buy another pair as I'd have no chance of holding my reins if he was strong SJ & XC! The sky remained bright, albeit grey, but no dark clouds and it wasn't really cold, so it didn't really spoil anything. Unfortunately, half way through filming my test, hubby's phone ran out of space. So he switched to mine. I've edited them together, and the only movement missing is the second lots of half 20m circles to change the rein. You'll see we had a major resist when I got a complex about my left hand and Thomas became precious about it; I should have just softened then re-took, but hey ho, we got straight back into canter and it didn't really spoil the test. The 20m circle ended up with a 4 so not even that bad! We scored 39 overall, I think the lowest in the section was 32 so I wasn't too put out.

Because we were a bit soggy, I decided to hold off my SJ - I was meant to be on an hour after dressage anyway. So I went for a walk to look at the SJ course, learn it (importantly), nip to the loo and bumped into a friend, before heading back to the wagon to get ready to go. Fortunately, this had given the rian plenty of time to go away, and was now not even drizzling. I warm up, again Thomas felt forward and keen but not strong, had a jump over X pole, 2 x upright and 2 x oxer, and as I landed and cantered past the arena entrance, the steward shouted IS ANYONE READY? There must have been 10 people warming up and I coudn't believe that there was no one ready, so as I sped past I just replied ME! Winner! He jumped a lovely round, with 2 down, both 100% my fault this time. First fence (grrrrr!) I just got far too close and he clipped top pole, and the planks downhill - I was too fixed on riding well down the hill and he just clipped the top one. I'm now learning when I can't see the stride, I hold on and need to trust him more and just kick and give to let him do it, but when I see it, we are onto a winner with beautiful jumps!!

I was pleased overall, and was on a score of 47. I'd wanted to be under 50 finished as a target for this season, so while I was waiting to go XC I figured out I could afford a few seconds over the time. While I'd walked the course, I'd seen two people miss out the same fence (4th last), and then when I was behind the start box, some one coming home missed out the second to last, so I pulled myself together to make sure I had them both on my radar. Thomas gave me a LOVELY ride, coming home clear and bang on the optimum time! Considering I never kicked on, I think that's a really good effort on Thomas' part!

Here's we are over the first:

Overall we finished on 47 - I was overmoon with Thomas, and myself! After I'd sorted Thomas out, I headed over to the scores tent, and was lying in 5th..... FIFTH!!! I knew that there were about 10 more scores to be added, all with DR & SJ scores combined sitting higher up the placings, so I didn't expect anything, and headed back to the wagon for a well earnt sandwich! I needed to collect my sheet, so went back to the scores tent and found out I'd come 11th!!!! Just two points off 10th!! I was so pleased, not only had I scored what I'd ideally wanted to, but that I'd come that close (something I never thought I would do, or do again!). When the results went up online, I saw that a lot of people were eliminated XC so I was thrilled that I'd had such a fab XC ride! Around 10 that finished had XC jump penalties, only 23 finished and of those I was one of nine that got home in time!!

Here's to looking forward to the next one, though I'm not changing my target just yet!!

Well done sounds like a lovely day, and in a gorgeous setting too!

Woooooo! Well done, fantastic result!

Well done brill results : )) x

Great report

Great report well done you!

Excellent, well done!! His dressage lookes loads better, like you said a lot more forward

Fantastic right up! Well done, super!
    Native pony addict!

Well done what a fab result! Bet your really chuffed! Imagine where he'd of been had he not had his moment in the dressage too.

Well done Floors castle is beautiful, lovely setting for ODE.