Thread: I want to drive Daisy!

Default I want to drive Daisy!

(yes I have heard the Driving Miss Daisy references )

I really really really want to drive Daisy, however I have no idea where to start. We've done loads of long-reining and she's pulled a tyre round the school... that's about it!

I need as much help and information as possible! PLEASE

Toffee Monster and Wally are your best bet I think!

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBolt View Post
    (yes I have heard the Driving Miss Daisy references )
    That was the first thing that came to mind!

Is there a driving club near you? When I was thinking about learning to drive Jacob, as he's been driven in the past, that was the suggestion that was made to me so I could learn how to drive and speak to people about suitable kit and equipment before going and forking out a fortune.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

Get lessons first.

I agree with Frances. I'd also say get her broken to harness by someone who knows what theyre doing, a badly broken driving horse is, imo, far more dangerous than a badly broken riding horse & since you'll be a novice she needs to be safe.
    I was so young & full of pride
    And you were wild & strong,
    I never knew how weak I was

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done.

Quote Originally Posted by carthorse View Post
    I agree with Frances. I'd also say get her broken to harness by someone who knows what theyre doing, a badly broken driving horse is, imo, far more dangerous than a badly broken riding horse & since you'll be a novice she needs to be safe.
    This!
    Native pony addict!

Of course I'm not going to do it myself! I'm not that stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBolt View Post
    Of course I'm not going to do it myself! I'm not that stupid!
    Whoa, calm down! Did I say you were stupid? No I didn't, so don't look for insults where none exist.

It's a fact that there are people who know how to handle & ride horses & so assume they'll be able to break one to harness themselves - sometimes it even works out fine. Personally if I was serious about getting one broken to harness I wouldn't even have had it pulling a tyre because I wouldn't want it to have any negative experiences if something went wrong. Sadly it's also true that there are people that will happily take money for a job they aren't capable of doing well, so it's important that you check people out.
    I was so young & full of pride
    And you were wild & strong,
    I never knew how weak I was

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done.

I have considered it with Ted but since the muscle groups don't always work with what we do ridden wise I probably won't with him, maybe a future horse...
    I would advise getting lessons driving an experienced horse to see if its for you first, after that if you like it then you know whether its something to pursue and can look into training for her.

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

For first thing you need to sort all the schooling issues you have with her now as these will be amplified in harness, then send her to a professional trainer