Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Join me on a hack...where I got completely lost and ended up out for 4hrs!

Default Join me on a hack...where I got completely lost and ended up out for 4hrs!

Had planned a 2.5hr ride, round the local RSPB reserve that has a bridlepath around the whole perimeter. I've done a part of it before but not the whole thing. Set out just before 9 with a plan to be back and ride a different horse at 12.30.

Probably about 1/4 of my planned route was on roads, and 2/3 of my actual route was roadwork in the end. So lots of green tracks either open or in woods which I could have a little canter or a bit more of a blast

Cute lambs

Bluebells

The reserve:

After about 1.5hrs, we got to an old stone bridge, with a big warning sign "DANGER UNSAFE BRIDGE"...they suggested you instead use a narrow wooden bridge, built alongside it. Pony doesn't think this is a good idea, and we have a 20minute battle on the ground before I decide that I no longer care if the stone bridge collapses with us on it, and walk over it. I then re-present her at the other end of the wooden bridge, and she walks over it straight away !

Somewhere either before this silly bridge argument or not long after, we must have missed the right turn to continue round the reserve. Parts of the bridleway are on MoD land so I was too busy worrying about whether I was going to be shot at, than where I was going. Eventually realised I was lost when I ended up in Horton-cum-Studley, a village I had never even heard of or seen on a map.... With the assistance of google maps on my phone and a map of local access routes I had downloaded, I eventually made my way back to another village I knew, and then linked up with the path around the reserve again, having taken a HUGE detour!

Getting lost and found again:

Finally got back, 4hrs later. I thought the poor pony might be a bit knackered (she is a heavyweight traditional cob, and we've been doing 1 x 2-3hr ride a week and lots of shorter ones), but despite loads of trotting to try and get back on track, and cantering at every oppurtunity, she was still trying to cheekily pop into canter on the last grassy stretch before home.

looks lovely if a bit long!

Saw these on Facebook, looks gorgeous!

At least you got home in the end!

Lovely pics!

I love a mammoth hack, it's been ages since I went on one, may have to plan something.

I have said before to A how jealous I am of the hacking you guys have? Is that Dolly? (I think I got the name right sure A mentioned her to me...)

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Getting lost hacks are the best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    I have said before to A how jealous I am of the hacking you guys have? Is that Dolly? (I think I got the name right sure A mentioned her to me...)
    Lol, must have wires crossed, no Dolly here That is Kes.

Our hacking is good, you have to cross the ringroad to get to it which is annoying and about 30mins roadwork most of the time, which is annoying, but worth it for a long ride. Taking Lance across there tomorrow hopefully

Looks lovely, I am more jealous of your ability to just head off on your pone for hours on your own.....sigh, life as a rider would be so much better without the cursed what ifs
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/

Very jealous of your hacking! Phil and I have lots of roadwork to get to a decent place to ride but it's nowhere as decent as this!