Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to 'Trec' and my report from the Open Championships

Default How to 'Trec' and my report from the Open Championships

Not so far to go this time, and a venue I am very familiar with, Trec Ireland held their Open Championships in Tipperary, a leg of the European Cup, and qualifier for the BHS Championships (UK)

Where in Donegal, we had the sea, the beach and the infamous hills, in Tipperary we had rolling green fields, crop fields, and SUNSHINE!

The orienteering also took some of the competion into the next county, and the Slieve Bloom Mountains of Kinnity.

It was my friend L's first full phase competition - we attempted orienteering before, and it went very wrong - L, never having done Trec, and I hadn't mapread in a long time, or attempted a route as difficult as that.

L had also never ridden a PTV course, having only experienced our winter league version of 'Versatility Trec', PTV obstacles inserted into a dressage test - arena based ... so she had no idea what she let herself in for.

I found it really helpful, actually, as she asked a lot of questions, and now I am a lot more confident about my rules, and also, managed to navigate and time, my first POR, myself

So here is my account, and a little 'How To Trec' on the way!

What you need;

Saddle packs
    First Aid Kit
    Medical Armband
    Stopwatch
    Compass
    Whistle
    Torch
    Mapcase
    Pens/Highlighter
    Hoofpick
    Reflective Tabard
    Raingear (handy reflective raincoat I picked up in Aldi!)
    (I also carry a rolled up leadrope, and my phone, missing from photo)
    Headcollar (on horse )

There are compulsory lists of course, I try to carry the minimum required possible, but this much I've found I need, lists or not!

We arrived on Saturday morning, and were scheduled for our equipment check for the orienteering phase at 12.30

Mocha was keen

Our horses were ready to go, and we headed into the maproom.

You have 10mins to copy down your route from the master map, mark distances etc and take note of the speed for the first section.

8km/hr is quite a fast speed, some cantering

That gave us about 7minutes from when we left the maproom to get to out first km mark

Run!

This time, I was at least sure of where I was going!

I had set my stopwatch, but hadn't quite organised myself yet - wasn't far along when something started beeping ... bashed a few buttons on the stopwatch thinking I had set an alarm, rather then the timer ... turns out it was my headcam... running out of battery

We still kinda knew what time we needed to make, because we knew what time we had left at, but we were running late having only trotted from the maproom.

As soon as we hit grass, we started cantering, turning right into a crop field, and roughly following the marked trail .... after you had made your first decision (whether to go left or right into the crop field) there were helpful arrows, which I'm sure wouldn't be present beyond level 1!

Hard to keep track of where you are going I suppose!

This straight stretch was supposed to come out at a road... my headcam ran out of battery at this point

But at the end, there was no gate, and we had to go left a ways, to find it... we were walking now, as we weren't sure ... this happens a lot... I need to learn to trust myself!

En route, we found some PTV obstacles (the doubt! perhaps the friendly arrows weren't for us at all!!) ... and well, it would have been rude to not have a go...

(borrowed photo, I cut out the rider, but I wish you could see how blue the sky was, and the height of the crop!)

We found the gate eventually.. and our first checkpoint!!

Although to our dismay, there were three trails coming out of the crop, leading to this gate/checkpoint ... we knew we were late ... but had we gone the right way? We headed off anyway, at a slighter slower speed of 7.5km. Each new checkpoint is a fresh start where timing and penalties are concerned.

We had actually gone the right way in the crop, but we had 6 penalties for that section - and 19 overall, on average, we were slow - the timing is tough!

Our last section was back the way we had come, through the crop - and we made that with just 1 penalty

Even though we didn't know we were right, at least we knew we would get home, and weren't afraid to belt on!!

We had a packed lunch provided (ham sandwich, water, fruit, yoghurt, crisps!) and time to walk the PTV course.

That evening - we had a yummy BBQ dinner

I was a little worried about Mocha in the evening, for one, she had an emergency reset of her shoes during the week, and they aren't ideal, its just important with the issues she has had, that they are. Her feet are brittle and suffering from two many resets in a short space of time.

Her stable was the first on the block and so she had a bit of a draught coming in the door (I closed it, but you couldn't be sure, someone down later, did aswell) and the bedding was unusual... some hard, brittle stuff... like pampus I could see her shifting about a bit on it, and she didn't lie down over night (wouldn't have fancied it myself )

We've always corralled at events, so she would be out walking off any stiffness etc, and keeping warm... might have to make sure in future, that she is accommodated.

Sunday

We were lying in second place after the first day, some 9 points behind the first pair.

On the morning of the PTV and COP we had a vetting.

The vet was hard pressed to pass her but she did, seeing her 100% on a soft surface, and just a bit iffy sometimes turning on the hard. She had a thorough checkover anyway and it was helpful to have another eye on the situation.

While it was wonderful to see her in such good form despite her issues, this little worry at the vetting has made me stop and have a think about her longterm soundness, she was like a young horse in Donegal, but this latest setback is obviously a bit more serious then I thought, so we won't be scheduling any events from now until there is hopefully, a marked improvement in her hooves.

First up was the COP (Control of paces)

Here is Mocha's slow canter

For which we took away the top score, of 30marks.

She did a good fast walk too, but there was a little boggy spot of ground and she broke

Thats how easy it is, to lose a full 30 marks!!

On to the PTV (Obstacles)

We had a lesson earlier in the year on 'XC riding for Trec' and our instructor, was the technical delegate for this course ... he definitely utilised the XC aspect!!

Obstacle number 1 - Ridden Immobility

Yeah - Mocha stayed in that circle for all of 3 seconds after I dropped the reins and obstacle 2, is that jump on the top of the bank

Obstacle 3 - a first for us, the lowbranches!

EVERYONE I saw from the warmup, had issues ... so the plan, was walk, she how keen she is ... and if she is keen ... we might trot ...

'What is that?!'

She was on the verge of cantering though so ...

Unfortunately, there was a plan for anyone who thought they might aim for maximum points ...

As you can see from Mocha's face - and the edge of a big log, oh, about 3 strides away!

In Trec, they call this, a related obstacle (?) There are no points, but it changes the way you approach or come away from an obstacle ... usually, making use of the terrain/natural obstacles, to make the course, more difficult...

Video, here. My dad didn't know I was going to be jumping the log (neither did I )

4. Water crossing

Little canter through a forestry track

And onto obstacle 5. Incline up

Mounting was next...

And away we went again, along the edge of the crop this time

Obstacle 7, Ridden Corridor

We did it in canter, but it followed immediately by the ridden footbridge ( a walk obstacle)

Mocha nearly put me out through her ears - good girl. I did ask her to stop like, but I only ever use light aids, and she did another flying halt with barely a thought!

Obstacle 9 Ridden S-Bend

It was really difficult, on a downhill slope, and she took one rail off the side as we turned the first corner (**** swung out ) but she finished it out perfectly.

You can see the incline down afterwards.

Another little canter

Out into an open field ... and obstacle 11 - dismounted Immobility

There followed a string of led obstacles...

12 Led Corridor (trotted)
    13 Led Jump (on top of a bank)
    14 Led Gate
    15 Led Reinback

I got full marks for all ... it was quite difficult though

She might look like she's quite far behind me, but after she came over the jump she wasn't ...

... and very nearly landed in a heap around my ears at the bottom of the bank... I squeaked whoa just in time!

I'll never understand Trec rules ... it absolutely IS NOT SAFE to have your horse behind you! (which is where they are supposed to be )

Nice spin across a field

To our last obstacle

Mocha's favourite, unfortunately she carries her tail a little higher and out when its plaited and she whacked a pole with it on our way through.

We scored 131 out of a possible 160.

And since L, did slighter better, with a score of 136/160, taking home the prize for highest PTV of the day (Amazing! First competition!) and putting our combined score some 20+ plus points ahead of the next competitors...

We won

Bottom right

L also took home the best COP score of the day.

There is a video here with all the photos from the event
    Last edited by Rips; 30-05-2013 at 01:33.

Great achievements all round and thank you for such detailed and useful info on how the competition works too
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/

Congratulations and well done, thank you for such a fascinating and detailed report, I now know much more about Trec and wish even more there were some in our area.

I have always wanted to give Trec a little go but there are things such as mounting I physically cannot do so I haven't ever bothered! Well done

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    I have always wanted to give Trec a little go but there are things such as mounting I physically cannot do so I haven't ever bothered! Well done
    Ah, but the beauty of Trec is you can stick to your strengths! When we were walking the course, I saw one of the young riders skip the mounting obstacle completely, judge explained she had a back issue.

I actually got 0 for my mounting (it was my worst obstacle )
    Our PTV score was good, but any rider scoring better then us in the COP could have taken 1st place.

Brilliant post , I sort of understood the gist of it beforehand but now am a lot more informed..I,m seriously tempted to have a go just for the craic...I would be rubbish at things like COP but would love to try the other things

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post
    Ah, but the beauty of Trec is you can stick to your strengths!
    Ditto this! I did Trec with notpoodle's Angel, who I've never jumped (and don't intend to!) we just skipped the 2 jumping obstacles (up onto a bank and a brush fence). You just score 0 for those things, rather than being disqualified or anything. At our local Trec venue, the mounting is from a mounting block.

Quote Originally Posted by HorselessRider View Post
    Ditto this! I did Trec with notpoodle's Angel, who I've never jumped (and don't intend to!) we just skipped the 2 jumping obstacles (up onto a bank and a brush fence). You just score 0 for those things, rather than being disqualified or anything. At our local Trec venue, the mounting is from a mounting block.
    Yes, am I right in thinking BHS rules use a block? With us, you are docked, but only 2 penalties ... I always use the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post
    Ah, but the beauty of Trec is you can stick to your strengths! When we were walking the course, I saw one of the young riders skip the mounting obstacle completely, judge explained she had a back issue.

I actually got 0 for my mounting (it was my worst obstacle )
    Our PTV score was good, but any rider scoring better then us in the COP could have taken 1st place.
    Ahhh! How many obstacles are there? I actually quite fancy it, do they adjust the thing you go under if its a giant hoss?

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    Ahhh! How many obstacles are there? I actually quite fancy it, do they adjust the thing you go under if its a giant hoss?
    So in a course, its any combination of 16 obstacles. under Trec Ireland rules there are 38 different obstacles. BHS Trec may differ slightly, as I know they have the 'maypole' ? Where you take the rope and ride around a pole in a circle without letting the rope down, we don't have that.

Yep, they higher/lower the low branches to suit the height of horse, but the distance gets smaller as you go up the levels aswell. At level one, its '3 branches' they should be 35cm above the withers, whereas at level 4, its 5 branches and the distance between them and the withers is 20cm.

Some obscure obstacles you don't tend to see too often ... most places don't have a proper staircase

And for some reason, loading into a trailer (which is an obstacle too!!) is rarely used

(Walk in back ramp of trailer, with no partition, and out the side ramp - its hitched up and usually in the middle of a field ;-) )