Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to 'Trec' and my report from the Open Championships

Trec Ireland Obstacle Data Sheets are here if anyone is interested!

http://trecireland.webs.com/apps/documents/

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post
    So in a course, its any combination of 16 obstacles. under Trec Ireland rules there are 38 different obstacles. BHS Trec may differ slightly, as I know they have the 'maypole' ? Where you take the rope and ride around a pole in a circle without letting the rope down, we don't have that.

Yep, they higher/lower the low branches to suit the height of horse, but the distance gets smaller as you go up the levels aswell. At level one, its '3 branches' they should be 35cm above the withers, whereas at level 4, its 5 branches and the distance between them and the withers is 20cm.

Some obscure obstacles you don't tend to see too often ... most places don't have a proper staircase

And for some reason, loading into a trailer (which is an obstacle too!!) is rarely used

(Walk in back ramp of trailer, with no partition, and out the side ramp - its hitched up and usually in the middle of a field ;-) )
    Thank you!! Will have a look where one is

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Well done!!! Fab post, very informative! I am going to have to look for trek events near me! looks good fun!

Smurf & I would get 0 for mounting too
    Size 34" Shires Huntingdon Green Tweed Show Jacket for sale as too big. Only worn twice, immaculate condition. Cost 89.99, make me an offer

This looks so fun! Having read your posts I am seriously considering giving it a go. I have a pony that hates schooling but loves hacking and this is where he is most confident. I think he'd love to do something like this.

wow lovely post make me want to get out and have a go!! not sure I could get off and leave her and expect her to stay put when she's revved up tho!!

If it looks and moves like a cob.. It's a warmblood!!

Quote Originally Posted by racingstripes View Post
    This looks so fun! Having read your posts I am seriously considering giving it a go. I have a pony that hates schooling but loves hacking and this is where he is most confident. I think he'd love to do something like this.
    Well, its all about versatility so generally you start off being good at one thing ... and then the nature of Trec seems to be that all the rest grows on you!!

I was useless at COP when I started, 0's across the board, plenty of times ... and thats the second full score I've gotten for our canter ... I feel like we have it down now.
    I'm quite excited about our walk aswell, I used to get 0 because it wasn't fast enough ... then we went through a phase of sometimes getting low marks (6, 8 etc) but it was inconsistant, and more often then not, we would have a break, or ... in Donegal... she seemed to think the cones were for WEAVING!

This was our first good walk, a time of 63secs ... and the break was literally just because of the ground, she didn't try to run, it was just her natural inclination. She also finished out the rest lovely. So hope for the next time.

Led obstacles are still hit and miss, because I can't be arsed to practice them... but just doing them in competition, we have gotten better everytime.

Trec really makes Mocha think, and she listens so much more. Its improved EVERY aspect of our riding... even though I still wouldn't do a good dressage test, I use alot more tools now, position, seat aids, even BREATHING!!

I don't think I rode very well over the weekend (very tired, long week, lots of stuff on and my last 3 consecutive 12hrs shifts ending the day before) but Mocha was in good form and we put in the prep walking the course the second time, just about killed me!

Quote Originally Posted by steff79 View Post
    wow lovely post make me want to get out and have a go!! not sure I could get off and leave her and expect her to stay put when she's revved up tho!!
    You'd be surprised! Mocha was a speed demon, vein-popping, rabid creature. But the atmosphere and the nature of the competition, is, in fits and starts, and she's used to that now.
    I miss the warm up buzz a little I must say. Now, warm up is just another 'chill time' for her!!

I would absolutely recommend it for anyone who competes and has issues with expectant/fizzy/or excitable horses. If your canter work and jumping is good, there are lots of obstacles that will suit to gain points- thats how we started, the only flying change Mocha ever did was in speed rounds jumping, and yet she can do one time changes through the slalom, no bother. But evening as training, or a schooling day out, you can't beat it.

You've got so many people wanting to give this a go from your Trec posts

I haven't found anything near enough to me though
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    You've got so many people wanting to give this a go from your Trec posts

I haven't found anything near enough to me though
    Mmm... york?
    http://www.white-horse-trec.co.uk/eventsdiary.htm

Or here
    http://www.trec-uk.com/index.php?opt...=26&board=17.0

York's a good couple of hours away, would be doable for the odd trip but not for training or regular meetings. I did email the local BHS ages ago but got no reply about it.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]