Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaving them to mature...

I'm happy to back Gilda at 3, but my backing may not be the same as someone else's, definitions vary wildly. You have to judge each horse as an individual and asses carefully what you do and why you are doing it.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

I have always backed my various millions of babies at late 3 year old, until
    Alfie, who physically wasn't ready till 4. Literally sat on him and done a circle until he was 5 as mentally he was just miles behind... Wasn't fully broke till this Feb, as a 6yold!
    Native pony addict!

Odie will be backed next July/August time. He was a late baby end of May 2011. Ive already done the same as you Beth. He has wore tack. Been out for inhand walks and will be going to a few shows this summer just to get out and about. Like Scout he is going to be a big boy and is at the minute quite immature looking. Hes done the odd bit of lungeing and I will teach him to long line soon. In my mind its better taking things slow and introducing them early on so they have more time to adjust and new things arent as scary.

Next summer late on August time maybe I will sit on him and have him walking and trotting forwards then leave it until the following spring to do the rest.

Boo was backed as a 4 year old (in August and she's born in April) and is rather mentally immature. In many ways she is the opposite though - she's very good out on her own and always was even when first backed but with regards to schooling etc. she's only really progressing properly now as she will now concentrate for a whole session. She's just turned 6.

Smile because it happened.
    Jimmy 2003-2011

We started Poppy in August 10' She was 4 she went out on loan to be 'ridden away' by a rider we thought to be an accomplished quiet brave rider. Little did we know.
    2 weeks later she came home. She was bum high so we popped her out in the field where she grew like a set of steps. Front end then back end. She didn't actually grow a set of withers until Jan 12!!

Personally Scout still looks very immature (like you say) I would carry on with the things you do now and just play it by ear! I have no issue with starting horses at 3 my only thing is when they grow bum hig/ coup high not riding them until they level out as I find they are unbalanced!
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Sundae was going to be backed at late 3 but was backed at early 4, same with imperial, though he is progressing much slower as he's not as mature... l may even just get him hacking and do no schooling at all then give him the winter off

I should probably say, in my previous post I meant sit on him at 3. Not two! I'm not cruel!

I don't see any problem with saddling, sitting on and doing a bit of hacking at 3 if they are physically and mentally mature enough to cope.
    Berry wasn't backed properly till 4 and has only just started jumping and doing proper work at 6. She's done a whole year of hacking and a bit of schooling as she was mentally immature.

^thats my plan with Annie She's just turned 3, and taking to long lining, lunging and in hand/ride and lead hacks like a duck to water

We backed Levi at late 3, but literally plonked a saddle on after lunging/inhand walking for a bit and hacked her. Did bits and bobs of schooling last year but it's only this year we've cracked down with her.