Thread: Endurance..

Default Endurance..

I have a few questions about endurance riding. Once Scout is backed I'd love to do it but have no idea where to start with training etc.

Also, when I was looking at photos all the horses seem to be araby types, would Scout be ok ? Daisy has gone to be an endurance pony but Scout is chunkier than her, although he's still pretty light weight?

Any breed of horse can do endurance There are lots of Araby types that do the longer distances and top level stuff, but most horses are capable of up to 30 miles.
    Nags Equestrian- Tack made to your requirements.
    Find us on Facebook!

derbysegb.wordpress.com your local group is a good place to start. You could pop along to a ride and see what goes on or even help at a ride.

My Welsh d loved endurance - his legs didn't (STOOPID ARTHRITIS!!!!)

I know a lot of cobs who do well at lower level stuff ...

My biggest recommendation is to get a GPD tracker (on smart phone or a watch) and start tracking all your rides to gain a complete idea of distances, top speeds, average speeds across different terrains, etc. Then you can start training in a more targetted manner.

Have a look at Sport Endurance and EGB websites. There's lots of info on there . I've seen loads of different types of horses and ponies at rides.

I used to do pleasure rides on my welsh B up to 25 miles and she coped fine.
    It is great and there are some lovely rides.

Endurance is something I would really love to have a go at. We used to often spend the summer doing rides of 25 miles plus, didn't get to last year but this yr hoping we will get back on it.