Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skipton Horse Trials Report *Pics & Vids*

Default Skipton Horse Trials Report *Pics & Vids*

I'm starting to get a little self-conscious that I'm the only one that seems to post in this area....

Anyway, a reasonable start, leaving the yard at 7am, with a long drive to Skipton (well, long for us!). Straight down the A1, off at A59 and headed to Skipton. It didn't take as long as we thought so we arrive in good time at 9.30am. I wasn't due to do my dressage until 11.46am so had plenty of time.

OH went to sorted out my start fee and numbers, while I headed out on the XC to see where to go. To be honest, it looked quite small, with only a few really looking up to height. I'd seen the optimum time was 3m34sec & was just over 1600m - not a course that suits Thomas & I, not much space in between fences to make time up. The first 5 fences were within about 300m!! It was a nice course though & here's the fences.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=746c048d35

I watched people coming through and it didn't look to be causing any problems. I was only really thinking about the two angled roll tops after the long grass fence line jump as Thomas goes away from a fence quickly, and to get my line, I'd need to be on a steady S-line. The last was spooky and I knew he would look at it, but thought it may make him fly at it - actually he wanted a very close look at it....

I looked at the SJ on the way back and there was one or two clears, but the majority were having 2 fences down, and most seemed to be number 5 (red and white one). I didn't think much about it as SJ is probably our weakest phase.

Tacked up, got changed, headed to the dressage. Thomas has been a bit awkward again with the left bend, and I found him a bit unsettled in his contact in the warm up, but after 15 minutes, we felt like we were working much more together, although the left was still not as supply as the right. We headed in and in all honesty, it was the worst dressage arena I've been in, nothing bad to the organisers at all, but there was just enough room to trot a horse down one of the long sides while you were waiting to be buzzed in, but there were overhanging trees, and being on a 17.1 meant I did have to bend down under it. Not ideal, especially when I prefer cantering around at the start. It was also a pathway away from the walkway down to the warm up (lots of horses back and forth - Thomas is THE nosiest horse I know) and then the back of the trade stands. Apart from the trees though, it wasn't as bad as I thought, except FWLR saw no stretch as he was horizontal neck looking at everything going on (we FWLR towards the walkway and trade stands).

He felt lazy in his test, and once again, couldn't be bothered to trot F-A after a few strides of walk...
    It didn't feel as relaxed as it has done, but he was quite obedient. I came out of the test, and OH put thumbs up , but I felt it wasn't a good one, and would be very high 30's if not 40's. I was starting to think that the day wasn't going to be worth the journey - bad attitude to have I know, but I really do dread SJ!

I had about an hour until I could jump, and headed off. The warm up, while only had 4 horses declared, was so busy! With people flying everywhere. No one was doing SJ's so when OH went to do mine, people took full advantage. I did get a little cross, as hubby went to change a fence as I was called in (I like to jump, keep rhythm & go in) but someone pushed in front of me and jumped it, knocked it down, so I was left with moving to the upright on an angle!! That rider was not even declared! I was about to go in!

My best SJ has been at Askham Bryan and Floors with 2 down... I HAD JUST ONE DOWN!! And that was only because I rode too deep into it! It was also the fence almost everyone seemed to have!!

I was so thrilled when I came out! I was so pleased! The second half of the round was definitely better than the first!

Number 3 - cut off as taken from video

No 4.

The best part was that I was now able to do my favourite bit - XC!! (I'm always paranoid I'll knock too many down SJ and not be allowed to go XC!)

Thomas was a bit slow and sticky in the warm up, getting really deep into the first warm up fence, but a bit better the second time. I decided to just keep him going (only 2 horses to go) but save the jumping until we were going. I suspected that we would get time penalties, just because the course didn't suit us, so I wanted to get him blood up to go. That said, number 3 was a wall, and I'm always steady at these, and if you hit them, they hurt, and didn't want to rush and get deep and risking doing so. So fence 1 - 3 was quite steady. After number 6 there was a good canter up the hill, and after 7 down to the water, then after number 9. So maybe we made up time there. The angled roll tops jumped much better than I thought, but the hedge line 14 & 15 didn't, we got close to both

We finished clear, but I was dreading seeing the time pens on the board.

We had my relatives from America watching, and my 84 year old Nana!! So we enjoyed a picnic. I wasn't feeling overly enthusiastic and I thought a bad DR, 4 to add and a load of time pens.... But when I went over to the scores tent, I was SO HAPPY!!!

I finished on 39.1!! I couldn't believe it! A 33.5 dressage, 4 to add and just 1.6 time pens, so only 4 secs over!! I was thrilled! It was my personal best finishing score AND I was most pleased with my SJ!

I actually finished 17th....
    There was 1.6 difference between me and 10th! Wish I'd gone faster now! Haha, no, I'm pleased with my score and how we did!!

Well done!

Great result!!
    Native pony addict!

Great report! Thanks for sharing.
    You both look beautifully turned out

Sounds a great day, well done

Fantastic result well done

Well done, which class was it? My friend won the Novice there.

Thanks everyone! I was so pleased with him, & thrilled to bits with just one SJ.

JWK- I was in the 90.

Great report, well done!! You must be really pleased

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

Well Done

Where are you at next? I'm at Aske in a couple of weeks time so hopefully wont just be you posting in here!

Well done, that's fantastic!