Thread: Lesson Reports x 2

Default Lesson Reports x 2

This will probably have more blab than usual. But a long story short a month or more ago, Monty bogged off with me in the school and I ejected myself. We think it was down to spring grass, we literally have soooo much as it is ex cattle grazing so he is restricted and managed on this now. He just stepped up a gear with no warning and I couldn't stop. This really knocked my confidence badly as it was so out of the blue, then the next day as he knew I wasn't feeling hugely confident (I haven't felt like that since I first got him, you know the nervous anticipation type feeling) he made the most of this and we had some displays of evasion on his weaker rein, not wanting to go forward, just being awkward and stubborn - a trait he has.

I had usual lessons with my RI (4 in a week, yes my confidence was that bad!) but she was getting married and heading off so I took the opportunity to have a lesson away from home with a new RI.

I am not going to lie, Monty was a monster for most of the 1st lesson. It was a new venue but still no excuse. However, I am glad he was as the RI really got me to get after him, think well ahead of him and ride him - something I wouldn't have done so strongly on my own. Sure enough, in the last 10 minutes we had some moments of pure genius. This almost made up for the sheer embarrassment I was feeling at my lack of confidence and Monty's shocking behaviour.

So here are the bad bits, there are plenty more like this and after 30 minutes of it as you can see to my face I am completely uninterested in his evasions:

But in the last ten minutes, Monty got a grip, I rode strong and managed to check him before he evaded and eventually he produced this:

I had the same RI this weekend, this time at home (I realise I have on the same outfit - equine fashion fail!). We worked on forwardness, canterpoles, riding with my seat in canter more and of course jumping. Monty was a star, he really excelled himself and definitely put in his best jumping efforts to date. I am delighted as you can imagine. I'm glad I sought help as it really has benefited us both as I am riding much more positively. Hopefully this was just a small blip (i hope!) but I guess you have got to have the downs to appreciate the ups.

We finished doing some of this, a real step up for the flat racer and a great up for me:

Last edited by MikhMonty; 17-06-2013 at 12:44.

Congratulations, nice turnaround there! Just testing, can't be perfect all the time

I didn't realise you'd had problems, must have missed the thread but sounds like you're getting back on track now. Unfortunately I know all to well how easily confidence is lost and you've done well to crack on through the nerves and get it back looking great in the last few pics.

Quote Originally Posted by bexnstar View Post
    I didn't realise you'd had problems, must have missed the thread but sounds like you're getting back on track now. Unfortunately I know all to well how easily confidence is lost and you've done well to crack on through the nerves and get it back looking great in the last few pics.
    Yeah I've been so busy and I guess you are less motivated to post about the bad bits, but I didn't want to glaze over it. I was in two minds behaviour or pain as so out of character but we stripped everything back, had teeth done etc and then I knew I could get after him guilt free. That helps me in my mind knowing it must be him, not his teeth, saddle etc.

Luckily it only lasted about 10-14 days, but I know if I hadn't have sought help then it probably would have gotten worse. I'm hoping we have put it behind us and I am pleased to say the forward riding is now part of the norm and he is better for it for sure.

Glad you are both heading back on track. It is so hard not to lose confidence when they do something stupid. But at least you have learnt something from the experience and actually learnt how to ride him through this behaviour. He is only a young horse and from what we've seen hasn't given you too much bother so far!

Bobs 14 now, so should know how to behave. He decided to bog off with his sharer the other week and continually frustrates me when it comes to schooling as he really doesn't like it, but once you've got after him is very capable of looking like a very nice horse.. He'd just prefer not to thank you very much!

Hoilday cottage in Teesdale- www.thecote.co.uk