Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minimum height for eventing?

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    Tiny being how big?

Under 14hh in affiliated eventing is asking for problems imo. Not saying there isn't some ponies out there more than capable but they are very few and far between. Most ponies would have younger less experienced jockeys on which is imo is where troubles would occur. I doubt some of the great 'littlens' would have done so well without experienced seasoned jockeys on board. Theodore O'Connor being the pony that springs to mind (tho he was a horse phenotype, being that he was mostly TB)
    13.1 I think.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

I think it's ridiculous personally, and extremely disheartening for my sister. She'll be gutted, she's put so much working into transforming Pebbles from a games pony to an event pony.

Why is it acceptable for her to compete at say pony club intermediate level (1m+) but no do a BE90 on her?! The pony is far more capable of jumping it, as is my sister capable of riding it.

Quote Originally Posted by NatandShell View Post
    I think it's ridiculous personally, and extremely disheartening for my sister. She'll be gutted, she's put so much working into transforming Pebbles from a games pony to an event pony.

Why is it acceptable for her to compete at say pony club intermediate level (1m+) but no do a BE90 on her?! The pony is far more capable of jumping it, as is my sister capable of riding it.
    I totally agree, it smacks of being elitist towards horses.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

It's a shame ... you could always enter and see what happens ... I'm sure I've seen midget ponies fly round a local BE90 on a ticket, so evidently no one either noticed or cared!

Pony club is more designed slightly more towards ponies. Certainly our local course the 2'6 and the 3' double on a horse you have to collect and show jump through it and all of the doubles/trebles on the course are uprights (rather than at BE where you will find more houses/rolltops etc..)

I certainly would never think it is due to elitism towards horses. (Also it wasn't that long ago where to compete something under 14.2 you had to be 16 years old or under.... and it has only been semi recently younger teenagers have been allowed to BE at all, unless it was pony trials).

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

I would go and try and wing it personally. I don't know much about eventing but have never seen anyone wandering around with a measuring stick at Badminton.

I have jumped judged at hunter trials and watched a 14hh doing the Open, it won. Noone seemed to care the rider was 11 years old either.

I'm very annoyed about height rules myself at the moment as our local RC show has decided in order to enter a ridden cob class the horse must be over 14hh2, which is a load of rubbish, I am pretty certain the Romany Gypsies (who were a huge contributor to the cob type) did not have measuring sticks and didn't give a hoot what the thing measured as long as it did the job. I will be having words with the secretary when I see her as it means all I can really enter is Handsomest Gelding!!!

A cob type is different to a traditional in true showing terms. A Romany Gypsy type is a traditional (had a lot in field next to ours for few years, some cracking horses!).

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Hmm yeah I would have thought it more to do with striding etc.. I'd just try and get away with it though tbh at a more low key event.. Although when I registered Flynn with BE I had to send in a copy of his passport - although I think it's because he's foreign (irish) that I had to do that, don't think you have to if she's native.

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    A cob type is different to a traditional in true showing terms. A Romany Gypsy type is a traditional (had a lot in field next to ours for few years, some cracking horses!).
    So how does a Traditional Cob class require a minimum height of 14hh2 then?

I can understand a coloured needs to be coloured, a Veteran needs to be older, a Racehorse to Riding Horse needs to have been a racehorse, but how can a cob not be a cob?!

I think it's very sensible - the striding is set for a horse and a pony would struggle. A rotational fall due to incorrect striding could be horrendous