Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minimum height for eventing?

Quote Originally Posted by toraf View Post
    Hmm yeah I would have thought it more to do with striding etc.. I'd just try and get away with it though tbh at a more low key event.. Although when I registered Flynn with BE I had to send in a copy of his passport - although I think it's because he's foreign (irish) that I had to do that, don't think you have to if she's native.
    I registered Darcy this week at had to send a copy of her passport and she's Essex born and bred ;-)

'Like' my Facebook page for offers and more information! http://www.facebook.com/PollyGodsafeMcTimoneyEssex

The class description reads

RIDDEN TRADITIONAL COB
    148cms and over. To be shown with feather and
    full mane & tail.

There is a separate class for show cobs.

So explain why a traditional cob needs to be over 14hh2 please?!

Although it's incredibly frustrating I can understand where BE is coming from. I showjumped my mare who was 14.1 in horse classes which under BRC and BS I'm eligible to do. I had her from a baby and we worked our way up the classes but we always had to 'fiddle' through the doubles, it depended on so many things that I always had to make a split second decision as to how many strides to fit in. After a couple of years doing 1.05m successfully, I dropped her back to doing no more than 95cm because at some point I was going to get it wrong and crash her through a combination. The consequences of doing that with solid fences is so more serious.

Doeylicious, I've no idea why they've put 148 on a trad cob class, I've never seen it before in shows round here and it makes no sense. I've seen some lovely proper traditional 13.2's.

I very much doubt that at area PC eventing the cross country is altered at all to make it suitable for ponies to run over rather than horses having jumped both BE and the PC area course at Bishop Burton and it being identical. Also you don't see many local show jumping unaff course having the stridings changed for ponies, they jump the same courses and always seem to manage fine with no height limitations on the bigger classes?

Doesn't looks like she's struggling to make the height or stridings (2nd part of a double)

The worst part is that this limitation has pretty much forced her arm up her back in terms of having to sell her, she's too old to PC games on her this year and now she can't event her so all she's left with doing is only unaff competitions which ideally isn't what my sister wants to do.

Oh sorry when you said ridden cob I assumed you meant cob type. I have no idea ?! I'd contact organisers I have never been to a show that doesn't allow for smaller traditionals. Bizarre.
    They have a show cob one too, I can understand the limit for that as I know you have the mini, middle and maxi cob classes at bigger shows.

I'm going to write an email to them, I'm a member of the riding club organised it so feel I have a right to say oi, why the sizest attitude?! lol!

Nat, I do think it's a shame as your sister and her obviously have a good bond and look very neat together. I know too little about XC to comment on striding and things (when we jump I kinda let Usher worry about all that at the moment) it would be a huge shame if she has to sell her though

Never knew this at all, I don't think it's fair at all either as in a few years time I would of quite liked to do some eventing with Levi, who's also a 13.2!

Quote Originally Posted by chelseabobo View Post
    Never knew this at all, I don't think it's fair at all either as in a few years time I would of quite liked to do some eventing with Levi, who's also a 13.2!
    I honestly don't see why you can't enter classes BE80T-BE100 level, fair enough you wouldn't expect a pony to go round an Intermediate but I really dont see why they can't hop round a 90 at all!

Can she not BSJA? Its a shame for your sister, but I can totally see why the restriction is there for safety reasons. Also the compensation culture - Im sure should someone's little darling came off their pony because they had to somehow fit 2.5 strides in a one stride double they would sue! With Pony Club the clue is in the name

Quote Originally Posted by NatandShell View Post
    I very much doubt that at area PC eventing the cross country is altered at all to make it suitable for ponies to run over rather than horses having jumped both BE and the PC area course at Bishop Burton and it being identical. Also you don't see many local show jumping unaff course having the stridings changed for ponies, they jump the same courses and always seem to manage fine with no height limitations on the bigger classes?

Doesn't looks like she's struggling to make the height or stridings (2nd part of a double)

The worst part is that this limitation has pretty much forced her arm up her back in terms of having to sell her, she's too old to PC games on her this year and now she can't event her so all she's left with doing is only unaff competitions which ideally isn't what my sister wants to do.
    But with BS then likely worst case scenario if the striding isn't right is that you'll have a pole down, or the whole fence, not a rotational fall over a solid fence

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio's filly! View Post
    But with BS then likely worst case scenario if the striding isn't right is that you'll have a pole down, or the whole fence, not a rotational fall over a solid fence
    Exactly - Flynn has a really short stride, so I have to really push him to make the striding BE. Our first unaffiliated over a BE100 course had a double of up to height, wide offset walls, and we had a scary moment - he was an absolute star and went for it when I asked, but because they were that little bit bigger and wider he then had to push off it with his hind legs.. Made me realise it wasn't that fair on me to ask him to jump that height BE unless I know the course and know there are no difficult doubles on a fixed stride, otherwise something could go really wrong.

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012