Thread: Hutton HT - FINALLY, a clear round SJ!!

Default Hutton HT - FINALLY, a clear round SJ!!

We had a leisurely start, setting off at 7.30am. I really liked Hutton when I went last year, although it was our worst score ever, with 5 SJ down, a time penalty, and a 20 on the XC....

Thomas has never gone round the XC there without a 20, so I was nervous a bit but also keen for the challenge... I was hoping that the fences I got my 20 at were still there, but they weren't... There were two other little combinations; one as you came to the bottom of the hill off set log skinnies, and two from home separately numbered on a sharp L bend to the left (the 2nd had an alternative).

We got there in plenty of time, and I walked the course straight away. It took a slightly different course, but the first 6 were almost the same, and then just a bit of alteration to the course track.

We headed to dressage, and Thomas warmed up well, much more settled in his contact than at Skipton, but still stiffer to the left than the right, although, as we worked more, he became much more flexible. We headed into the test, and he felt good, but could be a bit more forward. It was BE95, and so as I came across the diagonal (HXF) I had to do 1/2 20m circle right at A, then half 20m circle at X to the left. I don't know what happened, but I found myself doing a full 20m circle at A with the judge's bell going. The judge got out of the car, but I knew where I was going, I don't even know how I went the wrong way! I shouted I've got it and smiled, & she smiled and said just carry on on the other half circle. So, after our little scenic detour, we carried on and the test got much better and Thomas was very well behaved and relaxed, although our canter was a little late (meant to be C-H, was just at H, maybe just after). I was pleased with Thomas, but boy, I was furious with myself. I could have slapped myself. I knew the test inside out, and as soon as I heard the bell, I wondered why on earth I was where I was... I must have been miles away, which just was not like me at all. Still, it was good to be able to keep the fluidity and movement going, and not have forgotten the test.

We scored 37.
    The test was out of 200 so without my mistake it would have been 36, so not our best, but I was pleased with Thomas.

(I do have a video - OH filmed it in 2 parts; the first until the bell rang for the mistake, and the second after I'd taken my detour and come back on track. I need to clip them together, then will post).

Like I say, I was furious And the worst part was that I had a 3 hour wait for SJ - I'd already asked about times and they said it was running to time so I couldn't push in. GREAT! 3 hours to dwell on it!

I kept wondering across and eventually I found a gap an hour earlier, so I was able to go a little ahead of time! Thomas warmed up well, although a little sticky over the oxer the first time round, but much more responsive the second time. He hadn't really reacted when I'd put his fetlock boots on, so I got OH to tighten them slightly just before I went in.

Thomas is SO nosey! He was looking at everything, but this time, he was listening to me too. You had to come down past everyone and turn away to number one, and he was a bit looky, but made a nice turn.

You all know, I dread SJ and it is my weakest phase. I'm always convinced that I will be eliminated for knocking too many down and not be able to go XC.

WE HAD A CLEAR ROUND!!!

I came into the last, which was a double, after downhill plank (which I had given would be put down, but didn't!) thinking OMG please jump these well!! We got a bit close and I gave him a tap on the shoulder, which I kicked myself for as usually this results in a dropped leg, but he leapt at the second past, and came through the finish clear! I was absolutely amazed and thrilled!! I almost cried!! OH was stood beaming too - usually he has a face of thunder after SJ!

I was overjoyed, not only was it clear, but it felt a great round, foot perfect, great take offs and really together! I still feel flukey, but half of me thinks we're finally pulling it together as it wasn't an ugly but lucky round, OH even said what a smooth, fluid and rhythmical round it was!

OH finally broke the news - our only SJ round that was not filmed! The battery died just at fence 3! Gutted!

Off to XC! Dreading now seeing another 20 at the Hutton course! We had a long wait in the warm up, but he set off strong, albeit a little clinging to the warm up over the first two, but once he was off, he wasn't bothered where he was going! With all the warm weather at home, the ground is like concrete, so I was really conscious of pushing him, as I'd done no fast fitness work for a good few weeks. Don't get me wrong, I kicked on after fences and let him take me, I just didn't really open him up...

We came home clear, but with 10.8 time penalties to add. I looked at Thomas when I got off, he barely had a sweat - he certainly didn't look like he'd struggled round the XC! So next time I need to know he is fit and that he has got the fuel in the tank.

We finished on 47.8 & in 12th place - just 1.4 pens off 10th (I keep just missing out!). I was really pleased.

We got our first double clear together, we got our first foundation point together (something I never thought I'd get!) & we conquered the Hutton XC without a 20 - first time for Thomas out of four runs there!!

Great day out! I will post photos and vids this evening.

Sounds like a cracking day, so pleased for you on the clear SJ as sounds like all your hard work is paying off

Well done!!

You alwas donfab reports
    Native pony addict!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet your so so so pleased, I would be!!!

, I'm buzzing for you!

Well done!!

I always read you reports but don't think I ever comment (sorry about that) I really enjoy them though
    Really pleased for you that you got a double clear

Thanks everyone - can't tell you how pleased I am!!

Got a couple of nice pro shots too from Grossick!
    - Over number 9:
    http://johngracing.thirdlight.com/vi...id=17640201896
    - Over number 13:
    http://johngracing.thirdlight.com/vi...id=17640198435

Well done great report!
    Photos look great - looks keen!

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    looks keen!
    Yeah - he always gives me a lovely XC ride!