Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling again with "free walk on a long rein"

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    I thought this would help improve it for you. May not work for all, but certainly helped Buddy and Thomas.
    Yes, sadly that is what I do, or at least try to, I feed the rein out with each stride, keep a contact and my hands wide and low.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

got a pic of ours today, which earned us an 8. He did actually drop even lower without losing stride but my tog didn't get a pic of that. Thought it does show that my reins are fairly loose and again, the judges didn't seem to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    got a pic of ours today, which earned us an 8. He did actually drop even lower without losing stride but my tog didn't get a pic of that. Thought it does show that my reins are fairly loose and again, the judges didn't seem to mind.

Which is why I must be doing something very wrong to only get a 5

The only thing I keep going back to is the "confidence" of her RW. Sometimes the walk is not completely correct (but then neither is Mr Pacer!Lance's ...); i.e. sometimes not got three feet solidly on the ground which gives the impression she's not covering sufficient ground through stride but rather moving forwards with a bit of a rush ... Perhaps the straightness lacks in purpose as well, as in it doesn't look easy for her to march forwards straight and seems like your legs have to help corridor her a bit. But other than this I am also a bit stumped.

Was that pic of you the lowest poll point of the diagonal? My pic was probably one of the highest poll points and he will hold that in a straight purposeful march from the second we hit the diagonal to 1m before the arrival letter ... so perhaps demonstrating a longer duration of the actual FWLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    The only thing I keep going back to is the "confidence" of her RW. Sometimes the walk is not completely correct (but then neither is Mr Pacer!Lance's ...); i.e. sometimes not got three feet solidly on the ground which gives the impression she's not covering sufficient ground through stride but rather moving forwards with a bit of a rush ... Perhaps the straightness lacks in purpose as well, as in it doesn't look easy for her to march forwards straight and seems like your legs have to help corridor her a bit. But other than this I am also a bit stumped.

Was that pic of you the lowest poll point of the diagonal? My pic was probably one of the highest poll points and he will hold that in a straight purposeful march from the second we hit the diagonal to 1m before the arrival letter ... so perhaps demonstrating a longer duration of the actual FWLR?
    I think she wasn't as purposeful as she could be as we were both hot and bothered. It was almost the lowest point, but had it been the long diagonal I think she would have gone lower as she usually does (I probably need to work on the short one more often) and we certainly don't do it for the whole length yet so something to work on there

l'd go with lack of quality - Soot is tracking up and working from behind. ln your pic it seems that the back legs are trailing. lt's FWLR but needs to have purpose :}

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    l'd go with lack of quality - Soot is tracking up and working from behind. ln your pic it seems that the back legs are trailing. lt's FWLR but needs to have purpose :}
    I think she was tracking up and slightly over tracking (but not enough)

Just as an update, another judge saw the video on facebook and messaged me to say that she thought it a good stretch and would have given it a 7

The good thing is that it has made me work on it in my dressage lesson which helped hugely with getting Hattie to carry her head up and out

This used to be mine and Libby's best movement

Here's a pic of our last dressage test (in fact last ever! ) - I think I'm holding the reins virtually at buckle end

I thought that was pretty good! Better than mine does by far (he ****** looks at everything when he gets the opportunity) and we usually get 5 or 6.