Thread: Ridden Hunter Class - Our First Go at Showing!

Default Ridden Hunter Class - Our First Go at Showing!

So, most of you very kindly helped out on what I would need to try and look the part if I was to enter a RC show doing Ridden Hunter.

Well, I managed to beg and borrow from every which person, and went along to my first ever show with Thomas (my first ever proper showing class really - done T&T and Best Combination before when I was younger).

I was really excited, but quite nervous as I didn't really know what I was doing, and before the class standing with another 3 smart looking horses, over heard that they were in Ayr a week or so ago showing, and another was someone else.... Christ, I was glad I hadn't turned up on my flash and full cheek gear!! They all seemed so professional.

One lady was lovely and really complimented Thomas, and gave me some good advice on what to do and how to present etc before we were called in.

I wasn't really sure what we were allowed to do, so I kept my eye on these three throughout. There were about 10 in the class.

Thomas was great - very polite and you'd never know he'd only been schooled for 10 minutes in the pelham the day before!

In the end, I was able to borrow a double hunter bridle, rugby pelham, shirt and tie. I used my dressage saddle with my usual brown leather girth, no numnah, wore my hacking jacket, black dressage hat, black boots and light brown gloves. I couldn't manage a cane/whip as I found two reins enough. I also kept my roller ball spurs on, otherwise I think Thomas just wouldn't have gone anywhere!!

Anyway, we walked around for 5 minutes, then the judge did the usual asking us to move off in trot, and then canter. Then pulled us into a long line, where we each went forward to do our individual phase. I was second to go, and I had hoped to have a few more before me to watch and guide us. I'd just did a figure of 8 in trot and canter, with an extended canter up the long side. Thomas was well behaved and I really wanted to show that he is polite and well mannered, which I think he did a great job of!

Then we stripped off. OH did a fab job of brushing and shining back up. We presented to the judge, but poor Thomas didn't really know what all the fuss was about and was content to put his head down with an occasional chomp on the bit... But it was his first time!

We did our trot up, which took some getting going, but he went and trotted a full 1/2 lap, and stood square at the end. Tacked back up and got on (thank the lord there was a block!)

We walked around again, for a LONG time, and had a trot, then walked again. It seemed to take a long time, which someone else commented on, and the judges said it was a very tough decision.

A little coloured horse was pulled in first, and then a big grey (that refused flatly to trot up) and then the lady who had given me all the help outside came third.

WE WERE 4TH!!! Just behind the 3 that I had thought looked very professional!! So I was thrilled to bits!

There are some lovely professional photos of us which I'd like to get just because Thomas looks so handsome! I've not bought these, just showing you - which do you think is best?

I had a really great day and felt really proud of my neddy all the way through!

Well done! You both look great

Smile because it happened.
    Jimmy 2003-2011

A really smart combination, well done on your first showing debut

well done, you look great.

If I were just buying the one, I'd go with the portrait one of you trotting, the rest don't have particularly great backgrounds to them.

Well done you look great :-)
    Glad you had a good first experience :-)

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Fab, well done!
    Native pony addict!

Well done. I love the photos. Are you planning on doing anymore? X
    Thank you. I'm thinking about it, I just feel bad borrowing everything all the time. There is a couple of shows I could do on August bank holiday, but I'm not sure yet.