Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: J

He's lovely looks like great fun, definitely my kind of horse Well done with him!!

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

Ooooh he is lovely!! cracking jump in him!!

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

Thanks guys, will see what comes of all this.
    Need a new jumping saddle in near future. The one he has came with him and while it's not a *terrible* fit, the saddle fitter said we could do a lot better for both horse and rider ....

May have a new jumping saddle teeeheeee
    While I was embarrassing myself in the show ring with Ghost, J's sharer took him into the jumping ring. She only did the 2ft3 and 2ft6 classes. the biggest challenge with J has been balance in the canter and he does have a tendency to bomb off when there are jumps involved so I could not have been happier with the way the day went. I got them to warm up in a big open space and really establish the canter. Worked on shortening the strides a bit then opening him up again, lots of transitions, etc. He was sooooooo good - he tripped over the first fence in the 2ft3 as he didn't see it and a little confidence wobble in the canter them into an unbalanced trot and cost them another pole in the 2ft6, but when that's the worst thing one can say about a jumping round, one should be pretty happy
    He listened, turned nicely, arrived in stride. The fences were small, great for confidence - think we're onto a winner.

Not seen this till now but wow your fairly getting on with him! Hes looking great

I want him!

So we have had total saddle woes

Part X'd the Stubben he came with for an Antill jumping saddle. To all intents and purposes it was a great fit and very comfy for me. Within days it was clear he HATED it. Managed to get the Stubben back .... and he wouldn't go in that any more! Rode him in dressage saddle and he was foot perfect but felt unhappy (mentally, not physically) and anxious ... Gave him 5 days off then lunged for a few days. Rode in dressage saddle and back to happy and confident (thank god!). Can't even put Stubben back on him - gets anxious when it touches his back (WTF he's been wearing it for years!) ... Luckily fitter got a Caprilli jumping saddle in from a client aaaaaand hurrah J likes it! So we've had an odd two weeks with lots of concerns and tears, but hopefully back on track now.

I wonder if the Antill just felt wrong for him and then it kinda made him aware that he didn't like the Stubben either? Odd ... but at least we now have a far superior saddle to both the others. Omg so comfortable - had the best gallop across the stubble .

It's all a moot point as after this rather busy month where sharer is going to do a few jumping things with him, I intend to drag him round to dressage all winter

Soooooo new saddle seems GOOD! Hurrah!

J is going very well at the moment, placing in both his classes at Firle (inc the pairs with Lance ) and schooling nicely. He is still weak, esp along the loin area, so decided to take him to an evening clinic today for some gridwork.

Considering I still only jumped him the once back in Feb and the XC clinic two months ago, I had soooo much fun. He was willing and enjoyable. Not always easy to ride as he doesn't have a brain, but always willing. You just have have to be his brain for him He did struggle with the athletic side of things and I think this type of exercise will be very good for him so hoping to get out some more this winter.

(also, my first jumping lesson in ... ooooh 2-3 years? haha luckily this was frameworked as the lesson for the horse, not the rider!)

Video uploading

Yay little video!

boing, boing, boing!