Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: J

Today's dressage report
    -very positive!!

http://www.trotonline.co.uk/forum/sh...ressage-with-J

Lovely looking chap with a nice pop in him!!!!!

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

More dressage today, our 4th outing - Prelim 18 to practise for next week's championship show for which we randomly qualified in the summer.

On paper, great day - we came 2nd, test was tidy, accurate.

In reality, I am disappointed at myself. In the warm up ("warm" being a misnomer as my jacket soaked through and my shirt was sticking to my belly. Wet bra and knickers and soggy horse), I felt I could have ridden the winning test and everything was amazing and I entered the arena very relaxed. And then things started going wrong, not because of me, but because of the horse. Now I am used to my nerves getting in the way of a good test but this was different. This was J's nerves - he fell apart. Couldn't cope with the lashing rain (indoor school was very small and not very pleasant), got distracted by everything and completely lost obedience and fluency. I felt I was fighting him on every figure and in the end I gave up on the second canter after 3 false starts (disunited) ... There were 15 entries, and 6 had withdrawn because of the weather. So yeah on paper, we did REALLY well (everyone else must have been crap!!)... but it was not a very happy test. Weird ....

Anyway, there were clearly some beautiful moments and it probably looked a lot better than it felt ... but it didn't feel good.

Disillusioned!Soot wants to be Amazing Rider but has to settle for Amateur Rider

Now dry & cheerful! Am interested to see my test sheet, hope it arrives before next week's show!

..... and we won our local dressage champs (prelim)
    Delighted

http://www.trotonline.co.uk/forum/sh...377#post842377

Brilliant
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Haven't updated much as J got his shoes off the day after our last ride and has been roughed off. I decided he could do with the time off and so could my wallet!
    However, farrier is coming out next week, as are clippers so watch this space for season 2014.

Clippers never did come out, so J is hairy monster. With Lance being ill I have totally lost my mojo and have got J's sharer to hack him back to fitness. Yesterday, we hired a local school for his first schooling session since his mini-break. First time I've ridden him since our last dressage test of 2013 (whoops!) ... He was very, very green and did not want to go forward, bless him. However, the babification is actually what I'd hoped for as I felt he needed a bit of a new start to think about things ... specifically to think about his body works lol.

So we actually ended the session with 10 minutes of some of his most attentive and thoughtful work, which considering we're in the middle of a no-schooling, slippy mud, crappy winter, made me very happy.

Being honest, the only reason I even found the mojo to get on was because we have dressage winter champs next week. We qualified in October and I don't really feel like competing, but seeing as there is a training bursary to be won I feel I should make the effort to least go.

Soot your position is so enviable!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexa&Tess View Post
    Soot your position is so enviable!

Only cause I try not to post the crap ones

I find J very easy to sit on because he's so narrow- it's like standing up, but with a horse in the way ...

Dressage!Day ...

Well I was thinking J was looking a bit lean because of the bad weather/etc ... so I started stuffing him full of food ... like bags of soaked speedibeet and grass nuts and high fibre nuggets. And then today took him to dressage after 5 days off work because of the storms ... He was off his head, total power house. Felt like there was a lot of horse to ride, for once!

We rode Prelim 13 as part of a BHS Bursary competition. He did a lovely obedient test and we finished in 2nd place with 61.25%
    (I still mourn the higher marks of my local unaffiliated classes but I'm getting used to the lower scores now + getting better at checking what everyone else got to reassure myself lol). Second place earned us 60 of training with an RI of my choice - a very welcome prize in this bleak winter! The award involved not just the test but also a discussion about his way og going, our immediate targets and long-term goals, etc. Was an interesting experience and he really did me proud!

We got very high marks for our trot work

.. not so much for his slightly fantastical canter This pic actually looks OK but he puts ALL his energy into lifting his front legs UP in the canter and then crashed down on the forehand before pushing off with a slight bounce. He is a bit simple.