Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: J

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    I keep buying more... I couldn't share I would stress too much Have you given Lucy up? Sorry to change it off J a mo or did she retire?
    Well there were many twists and turns to that story (not to be aired on forum!), but to cut a long story short she is now on full loan to a lovely friend of mine, who hacks her 3-4 times a week. They adore each other, and she's given him a lot of confidence after he broke his back while trying out a horse to buy (yikes!). She's just around the corner from me, so I drive past every day and we sometimes hack out together

Is it possible for a horse to just be a bit dumb?

J is so lovely, but he really has some serious issues, probably from his racing childhood SIGH.

So he's been schooling AMAZING at home. Sharer has come up a level, he feels strong, confident, etc ... Then yesterday we went to our first affiliated class. He warmed up fairly well and stayed in front of the leg. As soon as we got into the arena, he napped towards the warm-up rinf! He's never napped before. It was subtle, but very disconcerting - he'd shift his hind quarters towards the exit, accelerate towards A and fall completely behind the leg towards C. You'd have thought he'd never competed before, he felt like a 3yo who didn't have a clue what was going on. For my first test I tried to ride reassuringly and was quite soft with him. As a result he gave an accurate but very lukewarm performance. The accuracy put us at 6/6.5 for most figures and collectives and we finished on 62% which was a great score in that arena (6th, out of 15) but well short of what this horse should be able to do by now. In the second test, I got behind him a bit more - huge mistake, it was like he shut down! Up the centre line he backed off the leg and lost impulsion every time I lifted my ribcage to open him up. Again we rode an accurate but frankly pathetic test. The judge was a generous scorer and our 60% was one of the deservedly lowest in the class (10th out of about 15).

So I guess he needs mileage now. He's done most of this dressage in indoor arenas and he was very confused by the large white "things" and the flowers. He didn't like that he couldn't see the warm-up area from the arenas and this clearly upset him.

Ah well, it was all fine, just very lacklustre and totally lacked any wow factor. Not how I anticipated our Hickstead debut. I could have taken him out last year to ride a test like THAT! haha ...

On our pictures, you can see the total lack of connection between front and back end. By then I was tense as well as it wasn't going how I'd imagined, so of course that didn't help. We're just wallies, really.

On the other hand, he did manage all his canters, so that's a definitely progress. This is as short as his stride gets - still a work in progress, but at least we have a stride to work on now!

With Lance unwell and J's sharer away, I've once again had a bit more fun and a bit less serious

Did a lovely XC clinic at Firle Place - so much fun, and the new noseband and martingale combo is perfect. Am relieved as was really dreading bitting him up but was starting to think I'd have to for my own safety.

So that is good! ... and gave me an excuse to buy a new bridle to match his saddle mwahahahaha

His usual enthusiasm over jumps, but I keep telling him that if he's ever going to be an eventer then he's going to have to master his dressage!

And perhaps I got left behind occasionally, due to his awesome PING!

But sometimes we were just right He's such a fun pony to ride!

... Am a bit concerned about this winter now Ghost is in work. I was always meant to give J back to his owner once Ghost was backed, but now that's kind of not happened ....

After trying to work out whether or not I am keeping this little horse, I gut-feeling committed to another year's loan, so we are now entering year 3!!! How time flies when you're having fun. I am resigned that J will never be the *BEST* horse in terms of ability, but he is SUCH a wonderful horse, so much to love and foot perfect in his willingness. He is the best company for humans and for other horses and for now it's hard to imagine the herd without him.

He is looking well this winter - can't wait to clip when I get back from holiday!

HAIRY FACE!

Want him back to autumn gleam

Another neglected diary ... I am guiltyguiltyguilty

(and I am also home sick on this amazing sunny day - no riding, no nothing. What do people DO all day??)

Well, the big news here is that there is a Big Change on the cards for J, and I am hoping that his sharer will be taking him on fully at the end of the summer. He will stay with me under my "management" for the moment, but ultimately the plan is for her to buy him from his current owner. I am riding him less and less and currently don't have any competition plans of my own for him. I do have the occasional lesson on him and sometimes school him, but essentially he is not really "mine" any more. I still love him, but I am differently excited for his future with her. I enjoy working with them both and training and I don't realistically need another horse now that Ghost is in work.

Aww, its great though that you have someone primed to take him over - lucky horse