Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travelling without leg wraps

Default Travelling without leg wraps

What do people think about travelling without leg wraps?

Legend is moving to Nottingham tomorrow which will be about a 2 hour journey, luckily he is being picked up about 8am! I'm just wondering whether in this heat he might be better not wearing any leg wraps

He doesn't have shoes on and the guy who is taking him is the same person that took him to and from Rockley last year and he travels really well in his box. The only thing that worries me is that sometimes he fidgets and kicks out when he hasn't travelled for a while.

it is only really the loading and unloading that worries me about not wearing protection, but given it is going to be very hot tomorrow I can understand your worries. How about just using brushing boots or similar for some protection to tendons being scraped?
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

I don't have any brushing/tendon boots, seem to have lost them somewhere on our travels.

He normally loads okay, will have a bit of a rear and mess and then go straight on

To be honest I only ever travel in wraps if I'm going to a show to keep them clean. Daisy and Scout travel perfectly so I'm not worried about them, cleo is an idiot to load and travel but she has lots of feather. When i took her feathers off she wore tendon boots because I can imagine her pulling bandages/travel boots off mid-journey and freaking out (she did when I travelled her in a rug once!)

I never travel mine in anything

Not often do I travel in boots (unless new horse on or bandaged to keep clean for showing)

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

I always put stars travel boots on. Having seen the state of my travel boots after my horse, randomly, decided to throw a fit on a lorry he had travelled on for years, I will never ever travel without them again.
    This horse had always travelled on said lorry with no probs then this one time, cos we changed which partition he went in, he threw a wobbler on the way home and absolutely shredded his premier equine travel boots!! Thank god he had them on otherwise it would have been his legs!! PE boots are very thick as well so he really did a number on them.

Just to stir it up a bit (not in a nasty way just a bit of a debate type way )

Do you really think he'd have carried on having such a fit if he was kicking/knocking himself? Horses as a rule aren't so stupid when things could/do harm them. But I've seen boots slipping down/getting trod on lead to freak outs.

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

I agree with Char, in some situations the boots cause more problems than they're worth!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't know and personally I wouldn't be prepared to find out. I'd much rather he trashed the boots then try without and see what happens
    I guess it's personal preference. I've seen horses in several different circumstances over the years whereby they have become distressed, hurt themselves, and instead of holding still they have continued to throw a fit regardless of the damage they're doing to themselves. But on the flip side I've seen them in a bad situation and hold still for us to help them.
    There's no right or wrong, I just choose to wear travel boots