Thread: Very mixed Mattingly report!

Default Very mixed Mattingly report!

For those that have been following our diary, you'll know we've been having a bit of trouble at the moment with confidence - first I lost it and now Flynn has! Although can happily say mine is back Flynn's lost his a bit just because I'm not here half the time when I'm at uni, and so he's a bit out of practice.. So have had some fab RC lessons, we went to Mattingly for the intro with me determined not to let Flynn's refusals get to me!!

Dressage first. He was feeling a bit grumpy - we had walked past the showjumping and he decided dressage was far too boring for him!! But he did a sweet test, with good bits and less good bits, but on the whole I was pleased with him! I'd had a look at the scores in my section already and had a bit of a -gulp- moment as the judge was clearly fairly harsh as the best mark was 35! So I was expecting a high 30... Sadly, the judge was another that put his tongue down to resistance, and so we got a disappointing 41 with a 5 every time she saw his tongue... Sadly learnt to accept this, even though multiple instructors have watched him and said he's not resisting at all, just has a big tongue. The comment at the end 'lovely chap with nice movement, but resistance in the bridle sadly costing marks today' sums it up really.. Resigned to it now, although makes me v angry!!

Then onto showjumping! Had walked the course before dressage, and thought the first half was nice and inviting, and then got meatier with lots of walls etc, so I knew I'd have to ride him really confidently. My RC instructor had warned me not to hold him at all - him feeling a bit cheeky from my lack of contact would get him more confident, and then we can refine again. Which to me, having just got my nerves back is very hard for my brain to allow my body to do He'd warmed up well - been sticky at first but I was really keeping my leg on and he was jumping fab, so I was confident.

Until we go in, he sees the jumps and this happens to his brain

Anyway, my brain had mildly imploded at this point, but it managed to keep chanting throughout 'look up, happy thoughts, KICK ON' and we got round the first 6, then coming to 7 (bright purple and pink wall) I felt Flynn's brain also implode, and despite my best pony club kicks we refused.. and then a second time. And then thankfully my brain decided to start working again as I WAS NOT going to let us get eliminated SJ again!! So with as much positive riding as humanly possible and a good 'GET ON FLYNN' to make my point, he then decided to leap it! Then 8 was a tiny rustic vertical which he also gawped at, so got a smack smack with my whip and decided he was confident again, so FLEW the 95cm square oxer with bright fillers in And over the double to finish! The lady on the gate said 'well done, that was very determined' which made me smile! I think most in the collecting ring were a bit confused as to why I was grinning (as with the time faults I'm fairly sure we'd racked up the highest EVER showjumping score of 74 ), BUT I was just pleased that I hadn't let him get to me and we'd got round.. The course was causing carnage as well - hardly any clears!

Then finally onto the XC! Warming up he felt so much more confident, and so was I. Warmed up nicely, and the lady in the collecting ring was absolutely fantastic, warning people two before they were due to go, telling them to 'go get yourself ready, get excited, do a jump, do a backflip, whatever you need', making everyone laugh and I think it was one of the best atmospheres I've been in!!

Then we were off, and Flynn took off at break neck speed, more of a bolt than anything, but I was determined not to hold him!! So desperately trying to use my seat to slow him he popped the first four nicely. Then I was nervous about 5 which was the first test - a big roll top off a corner then three long strides to a simple house thing. He gawped at the first, but I just sat quiet and kept my leg on and he popped in and out nicely. 6 was a fairly big ditch then two strides to a viaduct - he tried to stop at the ditch but I got him over, but then he hadn't jumped it well enough the physically get over the next and so understandably stopped.. So I just circled, popped the ditch again, kept my leg on as much as I could and he popped out nicely. This had made him doubt himself and a bit nervous, and so although had the perfect approach and striding to the corner (7), with a lot of kicking and growling from me he stopped.. Didn't make a big deal of it, just circled around again, and he hesitated but I really kept at him and he popped it.

Took off again down the hill to the flyer, which he jumped fantastically and went into hunting mode FLEW through the water and out over the log, galloped up hill and jumped the big box hedge in his stride, round the corner and he locked onto the 100 and tried to go for it, I managed to pull him off and he casually hopped the viaduct without having had a chance to see it.. Down the hill then back up, flying over the tyres at the top of the hill, leapt through the sunken road nicely, then over the crocodile into the second water and out, and then we had to go into the woods, round a corner and over an intimidating trakener... Collected him for the corner, but had cut it and so he was so surprised by the jump he refused.. My fault this time (oops!! But sort of relieved I could blame it on myself instead of his lack of confidence), so again didn't make a big deal and rode back at it confidently.. he FLEW over it, threw in a few bunny hops for good measure and then tanked off with me completely. Again desperately using my seat to slow him down, didn't manage to collect him up enough for an up to height stone wall that was really upright with a plank on top. So circled him a couple of times to calm him down, then he popped it sweetly, then a nice gallop to a big step up to an angled log, and then over the hedge to finish!!

(I like to chat with him all the way round )

SO. the XC was not good on paper But again I was grinning, as I had got him round and we'd finished!! And the jumps he'd refused weren't because they were big or too technical etc, it's just when he doubts himself. And he's really not easy to ride when he's like this, as if he doesn't want to do something, he won't. He's SUCH a strong, powerful horse and can throw his weight around easily, so the best way we've found to cope is just not to make a fuss when he refuses, just to keep quiet and bring him round again.. And he jumped the actual scary ones perfectly.. And he thoroughly enjoyed himself..

So we were umm-ing and ahh-ing about what to do for our next event, but I think we'll enter the 90 at Borde Hill again. It suits him there and we both know it well, and I think the best thing for him is just to keep going to build his confidence, as he can do it easily, just needs reminding of that! And I'm so relieved I have my confidence back and didn't let the lack of his get to me. He felt amazing the majority of the way around the course yesterday, and he absolutely loved it. His brain unfortunately is too similar to mine as has a little blip at times! But I know we can get over it, and really don't want to give up on him My dad said why don't we just sell him, but he has been the most amazing horse I could have asked for and taught me so much, he's just so much fun and I know he'll get back to his old self the more we do

And a massive well done to the organisers, had never been here before but thought it was so so well run, and a fantastic XC course - one of my new favs! Great jumps, really original and fun (the squirrel in the 90 and the duck in the 100 were amazing).

Amazing well done if you got through that!! Oh and fantastic photos thanks to my personal photographer aka my dad, who I keep encouraging to go pro when he retires as he is fantastic! Want to get a big print of the drop fence and frame it
    Last edited by toraf; 28-07-2013 at 21:06.

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

Well done! My yard mates were at Mattingly yesterday, one of them doing her first 90, she decided to retire after the SJ as the XC course was a bit tricky and she is not one to retire easily so you deserve a huge well done for doing so well!

I could hear mattingley from my new yard! Well done

Well done, you are doing the best thing at the moment and using them essentially as schooling and confidence gaining!

I've had horses in the past that my dad goes on about selling - he only thinks they are worth keeping when i bring home lots of red rosettes i always prove him wrong though, and you will too.
    Native pony addict!

Quote Originally Posted by Doeylicious View Post
    Well done! My yard mates were at Mattingly yesterday, one of them doing her first 90, she decided to retire after the SJ as the XC course was a bit tricky and she is not one to retire easily so you deserve a huge well done for doing so well!
    Thank you yes, on the way to the XC I overheard three separate people commenting on how they thought it was a big/tough 90 course Although I find (or used to find when we were doing well!!) that most 90 tracks are just really really simple, so I thought it was good how challenging they had made it (even though that wasn't great for us )

Quote Originally Posted by KingCavala.. View Post
    I could hear mattingley from my new yard! Well done
    Thanks!! Oh really, you must be super close! Would love to be so close to a place like that, would constantly be nipping over to the XC course

Well done!
    It's a shame your Dad said to sell him- I think you have achieved loads with this horse and it isn't all about the winning!
    I would carry on going and prove them all wrong
    Thank you! I know, I said I get much more out of it with Flynn anyway - it'd be boring if we always did well! At the end of last year I was so bored with 90s as we both found them so easy, and so tried a couple of BE100s, of which the XC was a bit much for Flynn in parts.. So at least now we have something to aim for again!! And makes me much more determined

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Well done, you are doing the best thing at the moment and using them essentially as schooling and confidence gaining!

I've had horses in the past that my dad goes on about selling - he only thinks they are worth keeping when i bring home lots of red rosettes i always prove him wrong though, and you will too.
    Thank you!! Glad to hear you think I'm doing the right thing as well - I'm always doubting what I've done now I don't have my instructor to back me up, as my mum is just constantly terrified when we event so keeps telling us to give up But yes, that's what I thought, just doing them with no pressure on him and not making it into a big deal when he stops will build his confidence up the more we do as he jumps fantastically when he gets going!! And I do love proving people wrong about him

thanks all!!

Well done for getting around it, I'm glad it wasn't me as some of those fences were nasty!

If it makes you feel better I was there assisting my sister on the sunday in the pre-intro and her horse took a massive dislike to the wall filler at 7 and got 42 time penalties napping and then showed his annoyance at being made to jump it by having another 24 or so faults to add to it by kicking everything out.

He then refused the 2nd ditch over the road the only one he's even looked at!

She's not gonna take him back if they run again. It used to be our yard, and he's been vile on the 3 occasions he's gone back to compete, so clearly something he's not keen on there.

As for the schooling around it, no chance!!! We weren't even allowed to hack with no jumping around the fences on the course when we were liveries there. Were there 2.5 years, never jumped a single fence! It was going to be open for schooling for 2 days for 60, but they changed their mind I think.

Hopefully borde hill will be better for all concerned!
    Kat

Small Horse - big heart, big personality!

glad you both had a good day even if it was a bit of a mixed bag! And you're definitely right to keep him, you've already done so well with him and seem a great team! On paper a badly put together 13hh that can't jump isn't ideal for me, but I wouldn't swap him for the world

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Well done for getting around it, I'm glad it wasn't me as some of those fences were nasty!

If it makes you feel better I was there assisting my sister on the sunday in the pre-intro and her horse took a massive dislike to the wall filler at 7 and got 42 time penalties napping and then showed his annoyance at being made to jump it by having another 24 or so faults to add to it by kicking everything out.

He then refused the 2nd ditch over the road the only one he's even looked at!

She's not gonna take him back if they run again. It used to be our yard, and he's been vile on the 3 occasions he's gone back to compete, so clearly something he's not keen on there.

As for the schooling around it, no chance!!! We weren't even allowed to hack with no jumping around the fences on the course when we were liveries there. Were there 2.5 years, never jumped a single fence! It was going to be open for schooling for 2 days for 60, but they changed their mind I think.

Hopefully borde hill will be better for all concerned!
    oh dear, him and Flynn obviously share the same dislikes Oh no, that's so boring not being able to jump them all!! I suppose that's how they keep them in such good condition compared to the schooling places.. Thanks! Will be keeping our fingers crossed firmly for BH

Honestly, you have such a nice positive attitude about it all so you will succeed. It's hard with Uni pressures etc as you only have half a year to really focus on it. When you finish you could iron out a majority of the issues over winter ready for the eventing season. Plus looking at him from an all rounder point of view, you may well get something that is very bold and fly round xc and sj but he wouldn't be any good as a hack for your mum whilst your at Uni. He's a lovely allrounder.
    Do you think it's worth speaking to a judge about the tongue. It's so unfair they hold that against him.
    Thank you Yes I always try to remind myself of that - we've got the best of both worlds with him! (Well the average of both worlds but at least it's both worlds ) I know I really do want to talk to a judge, but I don't really know how to go about it/if they'd find it rude or whatever.. But I really will have to at some point, as it's such a shame when we get marked down so strongly for it..

Quote Originally Posted by Toby-Toes View Post
    glad you both had a good day even if it was a bit of a mixed bag! And you're definitely right to keep him, you've already done so well with him and seem a great team! On paper a badly put together 13hh that can't jump isn't ideal for me, but I wouldn't swap him for the world
    Thanks Yes that's exactly how I feel!! Couldn't dream of selling him, he's such a good boy really!!