Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leo's Diary

Default Leo's Diary

I thought I would start a diary for Leo, I haven’t posted lots about him so it’s a chance to reintroduce him and hopefully I can track our progress. Boss (my other horse) will pop up from time to time but as she is happily retired there isn’t much to report other than her growing waistline.

In June 2012 I went to view Leo. I was looking for something to have fun on, preferably a native type and Leo fitted the bill (14.2hh Welsh x). It poured with rain on both viewings, he was fat and unfit but I decided to take him home with me. I was told he doesn’t do dressage and would be better off hacking. I have no aims to compete at high level and although I enjoy my lessons this didn’t put me off. Leo arrived 3 hours late on Friday 15th June.

Day he arrived:

Couple of the days after:

The saddle he came with didn’t fit, I rode him a couple of times when he arrived and then decided he wasn’t comfortable so sold it and was on the hunt for a new one. In this time I was lunging and riding bareback to keep him active. Finally ordered a saddle for him and the week before it was ready he went lame with laminitis. I’d only ridden him a handful of times so I was gutted, box rest commenced. He spent 6 weeks in the stable and was very well behaved. He can get quite stressed when stabled alone but coped ok considering it was summer and horses were coming and going through the day.

Last edited by teddypony; 02-08-2013 at 09:46.

Once he was sound we had the saddle fitter out and I began hacking again. We had a couple of lessons and he was very tense/giraffe like. I started to discover more about him. He’s quite spooky, not nasty but he generally worries about life and isn’t that trusting of new things/people. He hates his feathers being touched – vet thinks he may have had mites/severe mud fever in the past. He isn’t 14.2hh – he measures in at 14hh.

Winter hit and I stopped riding in the week. Work was reduced to hacking at the weekends when weather permitted and horse walker after work in the week. We had a few snowy days and all the ponies got to have a play (Boss included)

Not forgetting Boss:

March 2013
    Nights were getting lighter so I began to increase his workload. My friend started riding again after having her baby in Feb so we had a hacking buddy to spur us on.

We started having lessons again – beginning to work on his paces and getting him forward and balanced. Although his giraffe impression stayed he was stretching more through his back – he’s always quite happy and forward in the school so I assume his previous owners referred to his head carriage when they said he hates dressage.

April – July
    More hacking, more lessons. Leo was becoming very fit and his cheeky character was coming through. Lessons were going well and we entered our first dressage test at a local show. We hacked down and he was foot perfect all day. To my complete shock we came first in the dressage and had some lovely comments from the judges. We also popped round the clear round as a treat which he really enjoyed.

Back to lessons and hacking after the show. His canter has always been his weak point, when I got him the previous year he would pick up the left canter lead on both legs and struggled with corners. Lots of straight line hacking and cantering whilst out has improved his canter no end. He picks up the correct lead now is and much more confident. It’s still something to work on in the long run but much better than it used to be. We started asking him to drop into an outline, we had rhythm and impulsion so suppleness is next on the list. Outline began as an argument, rarely achieving anything until it clicked (no pics sorry – never have anyone at my lessons!). He isn’t consistent but the basics are now there and he gets what I am asking a lot quicker.

18th July – Lameness strikes

18th July 2013 Leo came in lame. I grabbed him straight off the grass in the morning just in case it was lami related. PM he was hopping and I called the emergency vet with no real diagnosis.

Tuesday 30th July – Vet returns for xrays, Leo was looking better but he hadn’t come sound. X-rays showed some slight arthritis in his coffin joint, however it wasn’t anything horrendous and may not have been the cause of lameness.
    Today – Leo is on a further course of bute and I am under instructions to bring him back into gentle work at the weekend. The vet is advising that we treat with caution and assume the hard ground aggravated his coffin joint. So I am now in the process of getting him back into ridden work and seeing how he goes. Fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow when I get back on board.

And that is where we are so far. I am hoping get the outline, go on a funride, do a hunter trial, and perhaps tackle a prelim dressage in the future

He's a lovely pony! He was very mannerly at the show.

Lets hope the hard ground is entirely responsible for his lameness
    Native pony addict!

Thanks Red!

Today I rode him for the first time since he went lame. He felt ok and was his normally willing self. However, when I took him back over to the field he was looking very stiff on his bad leg. Debating whether to field rest another week or to continue gentle walking and seeing if he improves/deteriorates.

Still lame

He's not obviously lame to trot up but he isn't right to ride. I took him out again Sunday for a gentle wander and he didn't feel right from the off so turned for home.

I've decided to give him another week of field rest and then call the vet next week if no improvement. He's also started piling on the pounds being off work (despite wearing a muzzle 24/7) so I need to fence him off a smaller bit of field.

I think I am destined to have lame ponies - considering keeping fish instead at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by teddypony View Post
    Still lame

He's not obviously lame to trot up but he isn't right to ride. I took him out again Sunday for a gentle wander and he didn't feel right from the off so turned for home.

I've decided to give him another week of field rest and then call the vet next week if no improvement. He's also started piling on the pounds being off work (despite wearing a muzzle 24/7) so I need to fence him off a smaller bit of field.

I think I am destined to have lame ponies - considering keeping fish instead at the moment
    Aww no sorry to hear this I hope you get to the bottom of this soon

Thanks MHL

He's looking field sound, displayed how well he was feeling by doing several flat out laps of the field with his friend. I've decided to do some gentle lunging for a couple of days in walk and then get back on Monday.

My super pen building skills lasted approx 12 hours as he ran through the fence yesterday PM.

hope he's sound asap!

Thanks

And *touches wood* he's sound! I lunged him Friday and Saturday gently and he looked absolutely fine so I got on Sunday. Only walked him down the road for 10 mins but he felt sound and didnt show any stiffness/soreness once we were back. Rode again yesterday in spooky mode (it was windy and his friend didn't come with us) so I think he is back to normal.

Going to bring him back into work slowly as we're still unsure of the cause of lameness but fingers crossed he stays sound!