Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leo's Diary

Leo had the weekend off as I was away. Had a nice hack on Monday evening with a friend and yesterday we had a bit of a play in the school.

Few pics - we weren't really working on anything in particular, just did some bending and a bit of leg yielding. He's strugglng again with his outline but we are getting there and we had some nice moments.

Overbent in this one:

And we went for a little hack after to cool off, had a little play in the water

I need to crack on again with his schooling, he definitely benefits for short and sweet sessions. I'm giving him a couple more weeks to fitten up and then I will restart our lessons I need someone to shout "elbows" at me again!

Elbows! You are both looking great!

Nothing major to report. Leo has been fine since he came back into work. We've been taking it easy with the hard ground but I am back in the school now.

Had a jumping session last friday and he was good as gold. Really enjoyed himself so I think I need to do it more often to keep him interested in his work. Friend did take some videos/pics so I will see if I can get hold of them and add them in at some point.

I have a lesson tonight, he's been very much ignoring my leg recently so I am hoping to work on getting him a bit sharper and responsive.

So we had our lesson on Tuesday. I said at the beginning that I felt we had taken a step backwards with the time he had off lame and losing out on our normal schooling sessions. His canter had taken a hit as we hadn't been able to do as much as normal whilst out hacking due to the rock hard ground. Previously he had been very loose and forward and we were just starting to crack the outline for short periods.

Started off warming him up as normal, loose rein so he could stretch and then began collecting him up and asking for flexions. RI noticed straight away he wasn't himself. We'd lost the lovely following trot and gone back to stuffy and grumpy Leo. She said he looks stiff behind and suggested some exercises to work on in order to get him moving better.

Once warmed up the stiffness did disappear but RI suggested getting the physio out to look at him because that isn't his normal way of going. I also have the saddle fitter booked for next week as I'm not 100% happy with the fit at the moment. Teeth have been done within the last month so no issue there. I am to keep working him as normal in the meantime but to take particular care when warming him up, giving him a good 15-20mins before asking for any 'proper' work.

As normal no one around to take pictures as I tend to have my lessons later in the evening when people want to be at home!

We have our first RC clinic on Saturday so hoping all will go well and I might even have a photographer!

Leo had the physio last Wednesday on the recommendation of my RI. She found some soreness and tightness mainly down his right side which was the side he had been lame. Did some massage and manipulation and gave me some stretches to do with him after he has been ridden. Nothing majorly wrong in the end which is good

Thursday he had off after his massage. Friday I took him for a walk hack in the torrential rain which neither of us enjoyed.

Saturday we had our first flatwork clinic with the RC. He was amazing. He has never gone that well before in his life. I'm not saying he was perfect by any means, however, he was nice and loose and forward like his normal self. Offered me some really nice work in an outline for a large chunk of the lesson, really powered along behind and barely any arguments from him about it.

We worked on suppleness and forwardness. Warmed up invidually (4 in the session) then called in for a chat. Back out and worked in open order. We had 2 poles placed in each corner of the school which we had to either go round and ride a very deep corner, or go to the inside and ask for more bend and a shallow corner. This was really good for Leo, he was a bit fresh so got him listening and bending. We then progressed to halting in the corners and pushing straight into an active trot coming out, at this point I was told to add in 10m circles in each corner to help flex him at the poll a bit more. Worked on variations of this exercise for a bit then moved onto some lateral work. We came off the track, halted on the centre line. Asked for half a turn on the forehand and then active trot straight back out onto the track. Leo really struggled on to turn to the right, got a few nice steps in the end though

Finally we did a bit of canter work to finish. Popped him into canter and did a few 10m canter circles. He coped very well considering the canter is still a work in progress. Actually got him back onto his hocks a bit more and stopped him motorbiking around with his front end. Only did about 5 mins in the canter as he was tiring quickly.

And that was the end of the session. Really enjoyed myself, Leo was amazing and held his own with the very big dressage types. I have some new exercises to work on now, hopefully onwards and upwards from here.

We have a jumping/pole clinic on Sunday and then another lesson next week end. Hoping to take him to a hunter trial/cross country as well in the next few weeks. Lots of plans Also on the hunt for my own transport so fingers crossed I am independently mobile soon!

We went to the jumping clinic last weekend and had a brilliant time. I went with a friend who struggles with confidence issues so we were booked into the poles and small jumps session. Only the two of us in there in the end.

Arrived and the boys were both relaxed so tacked up and went into the school when the other group finished. Both our ponies can be spooky and sharp but Leo was very relaxed. RI told us to warm up in open order, get them used to going round the fillers and anything which could be scary for them. Leo was fine, didn't look at anything other than the poo scoop.

We began just trotting over poles with me as lead file. Leo was fine, he doesn't really have any issues with poles and did everything we asked. We then progressed to trotting the course as a set of poles before the RI put up a small cross. Leo was feeling lazy, he is of the opinion that small jumps are not worth his time and so we half heartedly trotted over it. We worked on a few small crosses and my friend did a small course of 4 before calling it a day. She did brilliantly as she hasn't jumped him for ages and is always thinking of the what ifs.

RI then put a bigger (not big, I've not jumped properly in about 4 years) course for me and Leo to finish over. Leo loved it, we had a hesitation at the plank which resulted in messy jump but we got over it!

Andd.... a few pics and a vid if I can get it working. Excuse my riding, my jumping is rusty!

Wee! Happy little ginge

he's looking ace

Thanks both

We had a lesson on Saturday. Warmed up as usual, lots of transitions to get him supple. Then circles and bending to get him to flex over the poll. He went pretty well considering I haven't done masses of schooling with him recently. We did some leg yielding exercises which he wasn't really in the mood for, offered a few steps in the end so at least achieved something there.
    Then moved on to his canter. RI had me asking for the transition, cantering a 20m circle and then opening the canter up down the long side before collecting him for another 20m circle. His canter is very much on the forehand so the aim was to get his hocks under him a bit more in order to get him powering from behind. This is part of my lesson homework as really our canter is letting us down now. Outline is now up to holding for about 60% of the time which is brilliant.
    Finally finished by popping him over a jump as we have a hunter trial this weekend. RI was pleased with how much more confident he is with his jumping compared to when I first got him. He is still quite babyish to jump and needs assurance he is doing it right but he is getting there. Again, our canter needs working on as he was throwing me some very odd jumps and strides.

Sunday I helped at my RC show, wrote for one of the dressage tests which was interesting as I have never done that before. Quite a small class so was only writing for around an hourish, had a couple of no shows and one person withdrew. Then took Leo for a long hack to our gallops. Was great fun, I'd guess and say it's around a mile and a half long. We galloped about half way and cantered the rest as he lost enthusiasm. He was fitter than I thought though so that bodes well for making it round our first hunter trial on sunday

We went to a Hunter Trial Full report here http://www.trotonline.co.uk/forum/sh...894#post836894

Monday took him for a short hack round our fields to make sure he wasn't stiff/sore at all from the HT. He was fine, striding out nicely and nothing to worry about (still keeping an eye on him as we never discovered the cause of the lameness).

Yesterday he had a day off, I poo piced (joy!) and then went to pick up my new wheels . Hoping to get out and about at least a couple of times a month now. I drove it back to the yard with no issues, I just need to remember how long I am when cornering.

We have a lesson this weekend at home and then an RC XC clininc on the 19th so that will be our first outing

Anddd... a little Boss update She had a tildren drip to treat spavins/athrititus in her hocks at the beginning of september. The vet came out to re-assess at the beginning of last week and is very pleased with her progress. We popped her on the lunge (much to her disgust - she is a retired lady now) on a hard surface then in the school. Much improved, she will now pick up canter with true steps behind. Previously she had struggled, mainly being disunited. She's still 'off' in front as she has knee issues as well but looks comfortable and happy so that's all I can ask for
    Last edited by teddypony; 09-10-2013 at 09:00.