Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somerford Park Report and a sad day for Eventing

Default Somerford Park Report and a sad day for Eventing

So I competed in the Novice at Somerford Park Horse Trials on Saturday. I'll keep it short as there isn't much to say!

Was fab in the dressage, it was a tricky test that we haven't done before with leg yield and canter down the final centre line, but he listened to me throughout and we scored 31.5!

Aaaand then it all went downhill....was jumping beautifully in the SJ warmup. Went in the ring and he tripped on the take-off at fence 2 and fell through it. Picked ourselves up and carried on but he was backing off every fence, got to fence 7 and he jacked it in and said NO...so we were eliminated! Got him over it eventually and then popped him over a few in the warm-up again and he was fine, I think he'd just scared himself at fence 2! I wasn't mad with him at all but gutted I couldn't go XC as it was a beautiful course.

I returned horseless on sunday (today) to support a friend who was in the 1* and 2*. As we were walking the 1* course, we saw a horrific rotational fall by a combination. The horse jumped straight up but the screens were promptly put up around the rider, but the commentators assured us it was just for privacy. The course was held for a whole 90 minutes before the whole event was abandoned, the rider has been crushed and killed by his horse.

Such a horrible thing to happen, especially as he was so young. My heart goes out to his friends and family.
    Last edited by beating_hooves; 18-08-2013 at 19:02.

Oh how awful, such a terribly sad event

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

what a terrible accident, thoughts are with his family at this awful time

Oh god that is awful

Sorry, edited out his name as not sure if his family have been told yet.

Oh dear how awful shame about your run and the jumping well done in the dressage though

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Such an awful accident Thoughts with everyone involved and his family and friends..

Well done for a good dressage, shame about the SJ, but hopefully it was just a one off thing!

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

Absolutely terrible

Such sad times, makes us all think how dangerous a sport this is.

They have released his name So sad he was so young and very talented

RIP Tom Gadsby

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Event...670190?fref=ts

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.