Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Richmond(2) HT Report *PICS/VIDS*

Thanks everyone, he may be 7 now but I still see him as my baby 3yr old!

You can rise trot at Novice but think you have to sit at 1*. I've had this argument with my dressage instructor; I said I find it easier to rise but he said my position is better when I sit and you have more influence over the horse.

Unfortunately as he's half thoroughbred, his neck comes out of his shoulders at a very flat angle so he finds it extremely difficult to be round and up into the bridle. If I ask for too much bend he either drops way onto his forehand or sucks in and stops going forward, plus he's very laid back so he doesn't rely have that 'spark'. Also I'm very little and it's difficult for be to keep him together.

Nottingham (Uni)/Llandrindod Wells (Home)

I know that feeling! Sometimes i used to feel like I was trying to drive a bus when I had Tyson

Pretty sure you do have to sit at 1*, so I guess you might as well carry on like that! I had a judge be really nasty to me about sitting once but I wish she could have seen what would have happened if I'd gone rising

Either way he looks so much stronger and more grown up so I'm sure it'll come
    Whenever you feel like giving up, think of all the people who would love to see you fail.

Quote Originally Posted by StormyJ View Post
    I know that feeling! Sometimes i used to feel like I was trying to drive a bus when I had Tyson

Pretty sure you do have to sit at 1*, so I guess you might as well carry on like that! I had a judge be really nasty to me about sitting once but I wish she could have seen what would have happened if I'd gone rising

Either way he looks so much stronger and more grown up so I'm sure it'll come
    Haha, you kind of get used to it but I'm glad he's not crazy strong in the jumping or I'd have no chance!

I can't believe a judge had a go at you about sitting! What did they say?

She basically said it was my fault she was tense and I was holding her too much and making her resistant blah blah - it was all on the sheet so I didn't get the chance to tell her it was all I could do to keep her in the arena! It was marked out at the side of a horseball arena with huge high walls and Phi was having none of it!

That was the advantage of Gabe - he might have been 16.3hh but he was like turning a 15.2hh once I'd got used to it. Although I couldn't move his shoulders anywhere for the first few weeks!
    Whenever you feel like giving up, think of all the people who would love to see you fail.

He's looking good, well done..... don't blame you re running slow on ground atm! I'm doing little rain dances so I can get grey out to some baby ODEs (ekkk if you see a grey streak I'll have joined you up north with no breaks )

Quote Originally Posted by beating_hooves View Post
    Unfortunately as he's half thoroughbred, his neck comes out of his shoulders at a very flat angle so he finds it extremely difficult to be round and up into the bridle. If I ask for too much bend he either drops way onto his forehand or sucks in and stops going forward, plus he's very laid back so he doesn't rely have that 'spark'. Also I'm very little and it's difficult for be to keep him together.
    I do think it will come with time! You can't rush the flat work and he's still only 7 he will have lots of strengthening up to do! I've been trying to teach grey lump to take the contact up and forward for months and I think it's finally sinking in (he's 12.... pretty much full tb).

Looking forward to seeing your report from the 1*

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Well done and goodluck
    Really like the proffesional pics, how come you don't pull weird faces?

Wow, he looks brill!!

Quote Originally Posted by StormyJ View Post
    She basically said it was my fault she was tense and I was holding her too much and making her resistant blah blah - it was all on the sheet so I didn't get the chance to tell her it was all I could do to keep her in the arena! It was marked out at the side of a horseball arena with huge high walls and Phi was having none of it!

That was the advantage of Gabe - he might have been 16.3hh but he was like turning a 15.2hh once I'd got used to it. Although I couldn't move his shoulders anywhere for the first few weeks!
    Gosh that's awful! I know they're supposed to write comments but that's a bit mean and rather too blunt.

All I get is 'Not enough impulsion." "Needs to be more forward." "Hind legs not coming through enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    He's looking good, well done..... don't blame you re running slow on ground atm! I'm doing little rain dances so I can get grey out to some baby ODEs (ekkk if you see a grey streak I'll have joined you up north with no breaks )

I do think it will come with time! You can't rush the flat work and he's still only 7 he will have lots of strengthening up to do! I've been trying to teach grey lump to take the contact up and forward for months and I think it's finally sinking in (he's 12.... pretty much full tb).

Looking forward to seeing your report from the 1*
    Yes you're right, I do often forget that he's still young as he has such a good head on him! I didn't realise Baz was almost full thoroughbred; he moves/jumps so well I thought he was more warmblood-y!

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Well done and goodluck
    Really like the proffesional pics, how come you don't pull weird faces?
    Are you kidding? I almost didn't buy the XC one as I look like I'm about to kill someone!

Bexnstar, his name is Flight Mode
    Last edited by beating_hooves; 02-09-2013 at 21:40.

Sod's law though that by the next test she'd relaxed enough for me to rise so it looked like it was me sitting that was making her tense

He's a bit deceiving!

Basically all TB
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/inde...mall_font=1&l=

Quote Originally Posted by beating_hooves View Post
    Yes you're right, I do often forget that he's still young as he has such a good head on him! I didn't realise Baz was almost full thoroughbred; he moves/jumps so well I thought he was more warmblood-y!
    The ones with the good heads are difficult like you say you forget, M has one like that but he's so big too.... it just too a long time for his big body to catch up with his mental maturity/strength

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.