Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another of our "firsts" - with a few PICS

Default Another of our "firsts" - with a few PICS

So it's been a while since I last posted, or even responded, on here since we had our first placing at Hendersyde... Since then we've done Burgham which my Mum came to watch at - the first time in about 12 years, and I don't think she really got the whole riding and eventing thing. It was great to show her all the preparation for one event, and just how big Burgham was (it ran an advanced track).

We got a lovely dressage test, although it felt a little lacking energy to me, but scored 33. Our show jumping was a good round, but I just rubbed three poles (dropped my hand too early in the last stride) and had three down, so I was a bit disappointed. But he flew the XC, clear and in time. He was so with it; I only had to think left and he went, think forward and he went... But I frightened myself a little as I was 39 seconds UNDER!! I think too fast is dangerous.

Overall we finished 17th - if I had a clear round, I would have won! And after having the only two I've ever had in a row the two events before, for the first time I felt frustated, especially when they were 100% my mistakes!

I'd walked the course the night before and usually get something to worry over, but there wasn't really anything. The best advice I'd been given is that when you become complacent, move up otherwise it is more dangerous that moving up prematurely. I'd been thinking about a BE100 for a while but worried about the more technical elements.

So I requested to be moved up for Richmond - a great starters course. Until Friday night, I was still in the 90, and a bit disappointed really. But at 7.30pm I got the call! I could move to the BE100open on Sunday. I was at first a bit daunted by the open, but it's the same tracks, so I thought why not!

I was SO excited, and even more so when I got there!! I walked the XC and really liked it, until I got to fence 7, a left hand corner in the middle of nowhere! I don't like corners after I got a really bad jump over one schooling at the start of the year, and am always thinking they are incredible easy to run out at. Thomas is a big round horse to keep your leg around and close that side door, especially with XC stirrups!

There were TWO steeplechases! My favourite fence, I love flying at them without too much of a pull and getting the feet forward reins slipped feeling!

Then I came to 13a & b, right after opening up to the second steeplechase. It was two skinnies on a curving two stride line. I didn't like it when walking up to it, but then I saw the line, and walked the curve, and actually it suddenly seemed reasonably straight forward. The rest of the course looked lovely and inviting.

Off to dressage...it wasn't our day to do dressage together. I've worked really hard on my left bend (not unevenly on reins, but just struggled getting soft bend), but now I'm finding it difficult to stabilise my left hand on the right rein. I didn't feel relaxed and together going in, but we all have off days. However, I was beeped into the arena, and when I came round at A the centre line was on the 3/4 line!!! I really doubted and moved over, then looked up, and saw the judge 5m the other way, and moved back across. I lost all sense of baring throughout the test for 10m loops and 20m circles....I know that's bad, but I think I got a shock more than anything. It was where the track was worn from the previous day, and rather than moving the arena right over, they moved it half way! It was confusing, but something that I'll learn from.

I was furious when I came out that I got such a shock, that I doubted myself, and that I let both affect me throughout worrying.... Furious! And I had a 2.5hr wait to SJ...

I went up to watch some SJ devastated, convinced I'd have a score of near to 50... Came back to the wagon for a while, and headed to the scores.

36!!!!! THIRTY SIX!!!

Watching the test back, it was lovely in parts, and he was obedient and relaxed. I just focused on all the negatives! (Video will post later when I've popped it onto YT).

Walked the SJ before I tacked up and headed to the warm up. Nice course, short double to planks so I suspected I'd have the second part and planks down. But nice fences. I was nervous as it was the first time I've jumped a course of this height (as a course - just individual fences, or 2 or 3 in training), but so excited to give it a go.

We put two down - the second part of the double Thomas literally grazed, and number 7. I nearly forgot it off the bend and meant I didn't ride a good line to it. I was thrilled though!!

Then off to XC - wahoo!!!

A little nervous as I was waiting behind the starters box, but once we were going, it was lovely! Thomas really tried for me. I took the corner really slowly, stick in my left hand, and gave him a tap about 3 strides out. Soared it beautifully - my face from the pro photographer tells the tale going through my head!!

The combination at 13 rode beautifully, and it was a very natural curving line. I brought him right back to SJ canter as soon as I landed from the steeplechase, same as corner, and allowed him to pop it.

We came home clear AND in bang on time! I was shocked as I thought I'd have a heap of pens from the corner and combination, as well as just setting up prematurely for each fence while I was new to the level.

I am still smiling from it, and last night entered Aske, so fingers crossed we have a good run there too.

Anyway, I will post some videos later tonight when I can put then on YT, but here's the photos I bought...

SJ:

XC - at the corner!!

XC Course photos:

Wow! Sorry haven't read your post yet as rushing, but your pics are lovely and both you and your horse are looking very relaxed!

Fantastic report!! So happy for you that you did so well!!

Don't worry too much about the SJ, Richmond is renowned for its difficult and up-to-height courses. I had two fences down there on the Saturday! What day are you at Aske? I'm there on the Friday and Saturday.

Looking forward to Vids.

I'm at Aske on the Sunday. Think it was the only day the 100 was on?

I'm not too bothered about the poles I had down - I can't adjust strides well so for him to only graze the second element, and jump the planks clean I was pleased....so pleased that I almost missed the next one (the one I had down!). I was more pleased that after a mistake I was able to regain my composure and have no more down and a nice round.

Well done, great result for your first 100!

Well done he looks fab and those jumps look HUGE

Quote Originally Posted by Toby-Toes View Post
    Well done, great result for your first 100!
    I'm thrilled - we finished 13th in the open section! On a score of 44

Fabulous you're making such progress.

As a side note what a lovely inviting course!

You guys are really going from strength to strength, sounds exactly the right time to step up a level and he did you proud!

Here's the videos!!

Dressage:

Showjumping:

XC: