Thread: Trailer/box recommendations and advice?

Default Trailer/box recommendations and advice?

Well the trailer we were renting is going back this week We had it for 3 months and it was just fantastic. We went out multiple times a week and it was brilliant just being able to load up and head out on an adventure whenever we fancied.

We're considering getting a trailer of our own or even a small box if its possible within our budget. Unfortunately our budget is limited though. Probably limited to about 2500. Although that's a bit of a guess - my mum needs to have a proper chat with my dad about it! But need to have the answers to his questions first!

I have a few questions for people.

- If you own a horsebox how expensive is it to run? Not petrol-wise I'm more thinking the cost of maintenance, tax etc.

- Is there anything we should avoid? Both trailer and box-wise.

- What do we need to consider when actually purchasing something. Like what should we look out for.

Thank you!

Smile because it happened.
    Jimmy 2003-2011

If you can or know someone who is a mechanic take them with you, check the floor - personally I would not buy a trailer with a wooden floor, check the sides for rot, we bought a trailer this year, and before we bought the one we have we were looking at another one which looked in decent nick but when asking someone in the know to look over it discovered the the front of it was rotten through and would have cost 2k minimum to repair So wasn't worth anything in their opinion.

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

I agree take some experienced people...maybe even someone else horsey to help inspect where the horse stands, ramps etc. look at more than one and be fussy...you will get a well looked after one within budget but there are dodges ones also. Research current market values as some needing work may be worth it with experienced help...although having an aluminium floor fitted is expensive so bonus if already done
    lorries like cars need m.o.t, tax and insurance and I would never have a box without breakdown cover! Older boxes can be difficult to obtain parts depending on make and fully inspect re furnished boxes. My boss has a lorry and the conversion means you can't get to engine bay unless you cut in :/ check weights..many 7.5t lorries are very heavy depending on age and how it's been converted...ppl think vosa aren't stopping horse boxes but they are!
    good luck

I bought from a dealer. Generally expect them to be 10% more expensive than private sales but mine was fully serviced with new floor and tyres. It gave me huge peace of mind, most people buy cheap then take it to be serviced only to have to spend money on it.

Have a look at my reply to Hazel J's post.

For your budget I'd get a trailer...you'll get a decent 2nd hand trailer for that money, and whilst people do find bargain boxes, it'll have to be pretty old/in need of regular work at that price
    Size 34" Shires Huntingdon Green Tweed Show Jacket for sale as too big. Only worn twice, immaculate condition. Cost 89.99, make me an offer

Thanks for the tips
    I don't want a wooden floor. The idea of them makes me feel ill

Smile because it happened.
    Jimmy 2003-2011

Quote Originally Posted by igloo View Post
    Thanks for the tips
    I don't want a wooden floor. The idea of them makes me feel ill
    Me too

Fwiw we traded in our 505 earlier this year, it was almost 20years old but had a metal floor (that we'd had put in approx 10years before), they gave us 1350 against the New one so I'd say you'll get a nice trailer for your budget
    Size 34" Shires Huntingdon Green Tweed Show Jacket for sale as too big. Only worn twice, immaculate condition. Cost 89.99, make me an offer