Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aske International CIC* Report

Default Aske International CIC* Report

And what a fantastic experience it's been!

I can't tell you how much I've been stressing about this competition, worrying if I'm pushing him too much and if he's ready to cope with an International event. I shouldn't have worried at all, he behaved like a little pro all weekend!

I was up at 5am on Friday in order to leave by 6:30am. I wasn't dressaging until 12:48pm but wanted to miss the Friday morning traffic. Well we had a smooth drive and arrived at 8:30pm, before all the organisers! Although gave us a chance to walk the SJ and XC course before the dressage, then my super groom took him for a walk while I went to get numbers and had the FEI vet check his passport!

Posing in the Lorry!

So after a long wait we got ready for the test, which took a bit longer than usual getting him extra clean and shiny.

The CIC* arena was right in front of the big house by the lake and he was so chilled despite all the flower pots and my tailcoat flapping on his sides! Could have been a bit more pumped in the test to get sharper transitions, but I really couldn't have asked more of him!

Dressage Warm-up

Dressage Test

We walked the courses again after the test and then checked scores, we were lying 12th out of 40-odd on a 52.5 Drove about 20 minutes away to our over-night stabling and Bobby settled in nicely while me and supergroom camped out in the lorry, although my mother did come straight from work and take us out for a pub meal and the place she was staying overnight.

So up at 6.30am to muck out and get to the event by 8am, to SJ at 9.18am! My dad and sister also made an appearance which was lovely as they've never seen me compete before. The SJ warmup was tiny but made us feel very special to be warming up with the likes of Nicola Wilson and Caroline Powell. We went into the ring and he honestly jumped his little heart out, probably best I've felt him go! Unfortunately I got too close to a couple of the oxers which resulted in 12 penalties, but I was over the moon with how he went.

Then onto XC! It was a long course around the estate; it had fields, woods, uphill, downhill so would take a lot out of the horses. I rarely push for time on the XC as would much rather have a safe and confidence-giving round, but decided to ask a little more of him on the stretches especially to see how he did. He was absolutely fabulous!! He's not the best galloper in the world and I had to keep my leg on him but he really made an effort to open his stride and was genuine as anything at all the fences. He was tired at the end definitely but soldiered on willingly regardless, so came home clear with 8 time penalties.

Woohoo! So we only finished in 20-something place but what an incredible horse to achieve what he did at our first one star! Onwards and upwards

Well done guys, it really is a great achievement. He is just super and that SJ looks whopping! You guys look great in tails!

Look at the space he's giving the fences! And wow to how you look dressage! You must be thrilled

Great report. You look so smart both of you - well done!!

Nottingham (Uni)/Llandrindod Wells (Home)

You've done so well with him, he looks super. Dressage looks SO much better as well, and you can really see what a big horse he is in that video! Are you aiming for a CCI next year?
    Whenever you feel like giving up, think of all the people who would love to see you fail.

EEEE I've been waiting for this!

Well done! Agree with Storm dressage is looking much better, ..... Top and tails looks fantastic.

Less about being in the warm up with CP....more about being in the presence the horse she was on (and won on) BEAVIS..... that little horse is seriously amazing, I've been pondering the logistics of swapping basil for him, think she'd notice tho .... humph!

So where will be your first I next year I vote Houghton for a CCI .... (cos its near moi!.... also it is nice!)

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Wow fantastic report!! You look super together!

Well done
    Native pony addict!

Amazing! He is an absolute credit to you, and you know he doesn't look like he's struggling even one little bit. Well done, i bet you're absolutely buzzing

Wow what an amazing time you had! Well done, brilliant result. Bobby is lovely, I really like him, he looks such a nice genuine chap

Great report, well done!!