Thread: Hunter Trial Report

Default Hunter Trial Report

So, yesterday Smurf and I set off to a local 80cm hunter trial (there is a course walk thread with pics of all the fences if anyone missed it).

I had walked the course the day before and was feeling slightly sick about 3 (a wide feeder) 4 (upright with brush) and 7 (rather large log on top of a bank) the rest looked fine ish...

So as we had a leisurely start time of 12.20 I thought "no problem" plenty of time to clean tack/pack trailer/wash horse/clip horses chest and legs/get to venue in the morning so of course I was running late however, we managed to somehow time it right and by the time Id had a wee and got my number and tacked up I was roughly about 20mins to go so not too bad luckily *note to self - be more prepared*

The warm up was erm, interesting. As I was early to go in my class it was nice and quiet (thank GOD) as Smurf was very fresh!!!! We walked on a loose rein, Smurf decided to trot, so we trotted, I had no choice, then we cantered, and cantered and cantered and cantered....I couldn't stop it wasn't a particularly fast canter, so I wasn't too worried, but I just had no brakes aimed for a small log in the warm up and ended up in full gallop and taking off about three strides out cue me panicing and thinking about getting off

The warm up didnt improve, he was getting more stressed by horses flying past us, as the finish was right next to the warm up. So I jumped another small warm up jump and a big one (still far too fast but not gallop) and went to the start...

So, the way I figured it was I could either get off and go home (which I was never really going to do as deep down I was more excited than scared) or just grow a pair and go for it, let him gallop at the first couple which were small and then hope (and pray ) that would get it out his system and I could get him back to me for the bigger ones..

It worked (kinda) my riding was far from pretty (lost a stirrup twice ) and he stood off a long way off a lot of them, and it was pretty manic in general! He came back to trot a long way off the entrance to the wood, and I trotted right the way through as didn't think Id get him back again if I cantered, and it was a bit lumpy, so lost a lot of time doing that and ended up 23 seconds over, but only 1 or 2 in my class made the time. But it was no where near as out of control as the warm up had been!

We ended up in 8th place, 2seconds off 6th (and a rosette ) but I dont care about that, I was just so chuffed with him for getting round clear (and not killing me ) and he was so happy to be out again!!!

Pics -

flipping big log

chair

water

2nd to last - it was a tight turn after the feeder (on the left of the pic) to get back round towards the last before you hit the string

Pro pics arent up yet, but will link to them when they are, as mine are a bit poor quality as Ive had to zoom right in so you can see us
    Last edited by Taylor; 30-09-2013 at 19:43.
    Size 34" Shires Huntingdon Green Tweed Show Jacket for sale as too big. Only worn twice, immaculate condition. Cost 89.99, make me an offer

Super photos you look great!

I know how you feel with jumping XC fences at supersonic warp speed, it's a little terrifying at times isn't it!?

Well done!!
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    Super photos you look great!

I know how you feel with jumping XC fences at supersonic warp speed, it's a little terrifying at times isn't it!?
    Yep great feeling once we'd finished though! I'm so pleased! And he didn't bat an eyelid at anything, tbh he was going that fast I don't think he had time to look at any

Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    Well done!!
    Thanks
    Size 34" Shires Huntingdon Green Tweed Show Jacket for sale as too big. Only worn twice, immaculate condition. Cost 89.99, make me an offer

Well done you and Smurf and great pics

My friend thought the time was tight.

Well done, some really henchy fences in there!
    Lovely pics

Well done Lovely pics.

I'm doing my first HT on Sunday, not quite as brave as you as we are doing the teeny 1ft9 course!

Great piccies! Well done!!

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.