Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XC schooling- getting our bravery back! (with photo overload)

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by bexnstar View Post
    Brilliant well done and lovely pics you'll be off to the MKEC 3DE again before you know it.
    I bloomin well hope to next April/May

Well done you! I know how hard it is to get back to it after a knock and you are doing brilliantly! Love the turquoise too One of my main faults was always tipping forward and 'dropping' the horse before take off. I cant tell you how much it helped to have someone (a good RI) on the ground shouting "lean back!" as I was coming into a fence! Of course I was never actually leaning back, but it made me sit up properly as its so important not to get in front of the movement, as you know. Can I ask, do you jump with your stirrups so long for any reason? If it were me Id be whacking them up, it will help your stability no end.

Quote Originally Posted by four socks View Post
    Well done you! I know how hard it is to get back to it after a knock and you are doing brilliantly! Love the turquoise too One of my main faults was always tipping forward and 'dropping' the horse before take off. I cant tell you how much it helped to have someone (a good RI) on the ground shouting "lean back!" as I was coming into a fence! Of course I was never actually leaning back, but it made me sit up properly as its so important not to get in front of the movement, as you know. Can I ask, do you jump with your stirrups so long for any reason? If it were me Id be whacking them up, it will help your stability no end.
    I always try and have someone with me, I find a shouty friend helps, some are more shouty than others though We've got a few XC jumps at the yard so I'm hoping regular practice over those will help.
    RE: stirrups, I ride quite long anyway, those are 2-3holes shorter than my usual length (which is shorter than it used to be), so I'd never thought they were particularly long I suppose I could try putting them up a bit and seeing how it goes, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shoniedaspony View Post
    I always try and have someone with me, I find a shouty friend helps, some are more shouty than others though We've got a few XC jumps at the yard so I'm hoping regular practice over those will help.
    RE: stirrups, I ride quite long anyway, those are 2-3holes shorter than my usual length (which is shorter than it used to be), so I'd never thought they were particularly long I suppose I could try putting them up a bit and seeing how it goes, thanks
    ooh yeh they look long to me. I always used to ride short, I used to get told i rode like a jockey lol , but I had a good secure lower leg. Then I discovered the world of FW (yawn) and being 'with child' was stuck doing dressage anyway , so i worked on lengthing my leg riding longer. Fast forward 18 months and I having regular jumping lessons again. Id put my leathers up 2 holes and felt 'short' but the RI persuaded me to go up another 2, eek. I admit it felt really weird as Id been used to riding longer but she told me to stick with it and try hacking out at that length, practising 2 point. A couple of months on, Ive gone up another hole for xc and I feel so much more secure and my position is a lot better and more stable. Might not work for you at all but thought Id share

Thanks four socks, I will play around with it a bit and see.

Looks like you had a fab time!