Thread: Hunter Trial Report

Default Hunter Trial Report

I set off to a local hunter trial at the weekend (Wickstead for anyone in the Wiltshire area). We had entered the 1ft9 class as Leo has never seen a full XC course before and my pair had a baby at the beginning of the year and is a little out of practise.

Loaded the horses up a bit later than planned by but arrived about 10 to 9 so had plenty of time to unload, pay ambulance fees, get our number and then tack the boys up. The aim for the day was to get round in one piece and I wanted to give Leo a good confidence giving first hunter trial.

This hunter trial was running a timed section instead of optimum time; we decided just to go for a steady one so knew we wouldn’t be in a position to be placed before we set off.

Warmed up, had our tack checked and then our number was called to get to the start. And we were off!

First fence was a small log, Leo flew it no problem, we then went into an owl hole and onto a set of tyres.
    Timed section then started with a trakehner, into a ‘hut’ with some small planks which you jumped out over. Next was an optional ‘splash through’ which we decided not to bother with as no penalties for going round. Over the wall and then we had to open a gate.

Through the gate, up a steep hill and over some sleepers/log type jump.
    Over another log and then we had a step down. Walked the next bit as it was downhill and as we went first thing it was quite dewy and slippery.

Next jump was a log in the woods, the ground was very sticky mud but we made it no issues! Up another steep hill and then onto a double – two nice easy rail type jumps.

Then we made the leap of faith over the drop. Hard left into the woods, over a sleeper and sharp right down another step.

Next was the water, for our class we just had to go in the water and come out the other side. No problems there.
    Water lead to the ditch, apart from nearly falling in it we didn’t really have any issues.

Home stretch was a step up and a canter into a house. We had a stop at the house from the lead horse, I think he had just got a bit tired here. I took over as lead pony and we popped it no problems.
    Roll top was the final jump and then over the finish line

And… we came 8th out of 16 pairs. Very respectable for our first go and considering we had pretty much the slowest time it wasn’t too bad. I’m hoping to move up a height for next season. Leo loved it, I’m taking him to and RC XC clinic next weekend for some schooling as I collect my lorry this evening .

This was pretty much the course for anyone interested in seeing the jumps https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...6334324&type=3

Link to the proof pics – I’m on the ginger pony (apologies for me, I think I thought we were doing the open course!):
    http://357240.tifmember.com/v/photos...kf/11733827202
    http://357240.tifmember.com/v/photos...kf/11733828402
    http://357240.tifmember.com/v/photos...kf/11733859602

Lovely report, well done as i know you were nervous after you walked the course
    Native pony addict!

Thanks It rode nicer than it walked, I was just being a bit wimpy, I think Leo would have happily popped round the bigger course if I asked him

Well done to you both, that is a very respectable result for Wickstead, it always seems very frightening to me anyway!
    And congratulations on your new lorry!

Fab pics. Sounds like fun

Congratulations, it looks like a good day out!

Well done!
    Size 34" Shires Huntingdon Green Tweed Show Jacket for sale as too big. Only worn twice, immaculate condition. Cost £89.99, make me an offer

Find the latest ski and snow report for Hunter Mountain, with snow conditions, .... +. Hunter Mountain Trail Map.