Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liveryman Harmony Plus rechargeable clippers

Excited now

I'm not too handy with the heavier clippers, arms get fatigued! And last year the heavy duty ones I used - I nicked Mocha in her armpit, and the piece of skin I lifted, healed independent of the rest, so she has what looks like a skin tag hanging there

Its arrived

The case felt ricudulously light, but the clippers itself has a bit of weight to it ... smaller then I expected.

Incase anyone is looking, its been further reduced by another 10

All that comes in the set is the actual clippers, a standard blade, a very small bottle of oil and a very small brush, and the mains charger.

Off to try it out

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post
    Its arrived

The case felt ricudulously light, but the clippers itself has a bit of weight to it ... smaller then I expected.

Incase anyone is looking, its been further reduced by another 10

All that comes in the set is the actual clippers, a standard blade, a very small bottle of oil and a very small brush, and the mains charger.

Off to try it out
    Let me know what you think to them, I'm very tempted by the price.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Well the horse is clipped anyway! I did a chaser and some inventive clipping around her backend aswell and it was up to the job.

Very impressed for several reasons;

It came with some charge in it, but I plugged it in, and after 2hrs, the blue light came on that means its fully charged.

I was a little bit dubious about it, as I said, its smaller then I expected and looks very similar to what I would call, 'dog grooming clippers' because of its size and the snap on blades.

Its a pleasure to use - its very light, and its small enough that you can adjust it in your hand to use at odd angles, so the face, up around the ears, all the sticky out bits and difficult bits were very easily done.

It had no problem with any of the hair - not a single blip of bother, she hasn't got her full coat yet, but Mocha's hair is very dense, and that can cause a problem with even industrial clippers. It also whipped off the longer fluffier bits very easily (fine but long hair)

No problem with her bridlepath, and again Mocha's mane is very thick.

It left an excellent finish - the blades supplied are size 10 A5, and I suspect, not as fine as blades I have used previously ... the coat that is left is not as 'bald' as I have previously clipped ... previously, any clippers I have ever used, no matter how 'bald' she is, left a very coarse finish ... these left a very velvety finish and not a single line - they don't 'cut in' like other clippers I have used, which is why, I suspect, they don't stick on hair or dirt. They cut over oily bits once the oil had a chance to dry.

They also cut through damp hair under her girth. Once Mocha's coat comes in, she is perpetually damp under her girth (sweat/moisture from the skin).. I left it as long as possible, bit wouldn't dry out so eventually I just had a bash ... no problem at all. Had to go over it a few times to get all the hair, but it never faltered.

The other thing I did was my clipping around her dock ... she is mad in season, and she cycles all year ... so in the winter, she gets all chapped around her dock and inbetween her back legs. I sponged the area clean before I started clipping (the hair was quite fine there) but its impossible to get all the ick off because its melded to her skin. When I had the rest of the clipping done, I went back to this and clipped all the areas that get icky, and it didn't mind the dirt or slight dampness. (I'm such a bad clipper-owner )

I can't speak to it heating up, because I am a faffer and also very pedantic about brushing off hair and oiling ... so I took my time and it didn't run hot. I suppose all in all, I was running it on and off for about 2.5hrs, and no sign of the battery to run out. The clip itself could easily have been done in 20mins of course... but as I said, I'm a faffer, and I clipping in poor light and cleaning as I went and redoing and redoing my lines and faffing

Now to the one 'problem' I had with it. And I'm not sure if it it just the particular one I got, or if this is a universal problem ... maybe someone else with this model can help...

When I took it out of the box to attach the blade, the metal 'tongue' that holds the blade on was pushed in. (as opposed to sitting in the open position so you can attach the blade)

The black press clip that is supposed to release the metal tongue that holds the blade on, didn't seem to 'work' ... in so far as, I couldn't get the metal tongue to pop out.

I know from maintaining several dog type clippers that sometimes this mechanism can be stiff, even when using the blades for leverage - especially if the blades aren't often removed (and it would be unusual to have the tongue pushed in without the blade making it more difficult to release)

So while holding the button, I manually levered it open to get the blade on (ow!)

Anyway ... once the blade was on, I snapped it closed ... but it didn't sit as flush to the top of the clippers as I expected (with dog clippers, there is nearly no space between the plastic housing and the blade)

It looked odd, and I imagined hair would get in around the mechanisms and clog it, so I opened it and closed it a few times (with the blade on) making sure I had it clicked into place right. This loosened the mechanism quite a bit.

So I had no problems with my early clipping - now, the blades never clogged ... but as I said, I am pedantic about my cleaning, so I opened the mechanism a few times, to remove any and all hair.

When you push the button and put leverage on the blade, it clicks open slightly so its not in contact with the motor any longer (but the blade is still attached) and once it has been released like this, you can pull it back further into the fully open position to remove the blade.

When I got as far as the girth area, I was clipping straight upwards (and I suppose flicking the clippers outwards at the top of the stroke)... and the mechanism popped open (starts whirring furiously!) so the blade was not in contact with the motor. I turned it off quickly, opened it fully to have a look, removed the blades ... cleaned it and put it back on. I shrugged it off, thinking I maybe hadn't clicked it fully on previously.

However when I got to doing the other side (same movement) the same thing happened again.

I tidied up the lines and stuff with no problems, then went around to the back, and all of this clipping work, was clipping 'upwards' ... it happened again, 2 or 3 times quite annoying.

I did wonder if I had broken, or loosened the mechanism ... but assuming, you could be removing/changing blades quite often in the life of the clippers, this doesn't seem possible. Perhaps mine is faulty??

I'm now sitting at home on the couch, with the motor running, brandishing the clippers and flailing it around, but this is not happening ... but whatever 'movement' I was repeatedly doing, while clipping these areas, resulted in the blade popping open.

And randomly, I had no problems doing the 'upside down' bits right underneath ... so I have no idea what is causing this??

I'm now wondering if this is just a problem with mine, or as I said, a universal problem?

It wasn't a massive deal, except that - Mocha's quite good about clipping, and she stretches her leg out for you when you are doing behind her elbows ... when the blade snapped open, I had to stand up and fix it ... and then apparently, I was finished see, and she wasn't going to accommodate me any longer Its like hoof picking up, you get one 'go', and no normal person should need to be obliged twice

The only other thing I would say is that while I am sure they are capable of doing a full clip ... they really are a sort of 'handy clippers' rather then an industrial sort... if I was in the business of frequently doing large clips, or wanted to do a fast job, I'd probably go for another type. Who knows though, maybe with the wide blades you could get a full clip done quite quickly. I tend to always clip in stages and for that purpose, you couldn't get a nicer set of clippers.

So I've since clipped a friends dog with them, and the problem persists

I think it definitely is just a fault with mine, the tension on the metal tongue that holds the blade is not right, and it flips open regularly, dislodging the blade, which starts it whirring. I turn it off ASAP when this happens, but its sure to blunt the blades/ damage them prematurely.

The dog I clipped was a retriever with a very loose coat, he did have some matts around his tail, and when I got to these, it would just flip open repeatedly ... after it started this, there was no going back.

I took a break halfway through and finished the dog then with no problems, clipping slower and trying to stay in the right direction. (Its worse in certain directions)