Thread: Jumping for confidence

Default Jumping for confidence

I need a few exercises to help build Phil and I's confidence back up after his power slide last week!

Have limited poles and wings and a small (20x40) school so can't do courses but can set up doubles/bounce jumps (never done a triple etc).

Just looking for ideas, please

Can you do grids? Canter pole, x pole, canter pole building to canter pole, x pole, straight? Works really well for me.

Small grids are great to help you become more forward thinking
    Setting out placing poles in front of fences will also make it easier for you and your horse to see a stride for the jump x

Try and get hold of a copy of '101 jumping exercises' book. It has some brilliant grid, pole work etc exercises in it which will help build confidence.

Really just start small, don't over face yourself no matter what it is your doing. Tiny steps often lead to one great big leap and you won't even realize
    I did that with Tommy. First day of camp I was terrified of a pole and the second day I was doing a grid ending is 70 and loving it! I hadn't even realized it was that big and he was rodeoing around everywhere! I didn't force myself or let anyone force me either.

I found a pole exercise and needless to say he has forgotten about his refusal and was tanking me into the jumps again! Only set up two tiny x poles but also wanted to show him that he can jump from a slow trot/walk. He refused at first but at the end he realised it was small enough he didn't even need to leap over it!