Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat to fit!!

We've had 2 flatwork sessions this week. The arena surface is really starting to bed down and is really good to ride on.

I've been having classical lessons so really focusing on using my seat and weight aids. We're both a bit rusty but he's going well and doing about 30 - 40 minutes without being tired.

Looking forward to the weekend when hopefully we can do some hacking!!

I have always loved reading about your boy

Well done for getting on his case to shift that fat! It can be difficult to keep them trim sometimes. Lance is prone to weight gain and spends a lot of time in his muzzle in the summer!

Sounds like you're getting back into your riding now!

Thank you I tried muzzling but he'd either get the muzzle off or would rub his nose raw attempting to do so!

Here's a wee picture of him earlier this week which clearly shows his sizeable tummy!!

Good luck - I'm another one with a serious fatty this winter - so the photo of your gelding is a little reassuring, as right now Vega looks like she is infoal because she is carrying her weight the same way your lad is.

She doesn't get fed anything and when I ration her hay down she stops pooing so its slow going!

So I've had a crappy couple of days - my 13 year old dog got pts so I've not really had much motivation.

I did however venture out for a hack today to try and cheer myself up - we had to pick our way along the roads in places as it was so cold and there was some spots of ice but luckily it was clear enough to get out - nothing worse than a lovely sunny day and you can't leave the yard.

I took one of the yard dogs along for company as she always makes me smile.

We only did 3 miles and mostly walk with a couple of bursts of trot just to heat us up but it's better than nothing!

He's still living out with very little grazing but he must be finding something as he's not really lost weight and when he comes in he's not really bothering about his haynet. Unfortunately he can't stay out all year and once the weather turns wet again he'll need to come in overnight and will be stabled from about 4pm to 8am although I'm going to see if he can stay out in the field longer as he's happy being out on his own and chances are when he moves into his new field when he's stabled he won't want to come in anyway!!

Just hope the weather holds for a bit to let me get some weight off him!

Sorry to hear about your little dog K

So, the new arena surface is finally starting to settle! We've had a couple of lunging and schooling sessions over the last week or so - I'm so rusty but I've got a flatwork lesson hopefully booked on Saturday although we are forecast snow on Thursday so we'll have to wait and see.

We had a fab hack on Saturday to a local nature trail that we haven't explored before - did about 5 1/2 miles - mostly in walk but it's all good exercise!

I do think he has lots a little weight - not enough though but we're on the right track!

It's getting to that time of year though where there are so many nights out for Christmas that getting a chance to ride is difficult and the nights when I can ride the weather is awful - but I'll keep plugging away!

Well the weather hasn't been helping us get fit - it's not snow we've had to contend with but high winds and heavy rain.

Luckily I've managed to lunge and school a couple of times during the week and we had a nice hack on Saturday - albeit it a short one as the weather was due to turn and it did with a vengence and we got back to the yard just before it got too bad.

I've decided to bit the bullet and get a sharer - and found one almost immediately. I've found someone to hack him out twice a week which suits me as I don't have to worry about someone else schooling him and as I don't expect they'll be working him too hard, I can still ride on those days too if I want which again should help with his fitness.

We did some lunging with the equiami last night and his sharer did about 3 miles with him today. I'll school him tomorrow and lunge again on Friday then he'll get a hack on Saturday and Sunday (weather permitting as it's not looking great again grrr!)

I'm struggling with Fab's weight at the moment and have had to start rationing hay in the hope it slims him down some. Already cut out the tiny dinner he was getting!!! This mild weather isn't helping with shifting weight off them is it?!

Yes the weather isnt helping both in terms of the higher temperatures but also we've had some more high winds and driving rain so riding last night was a no go and I'm out tonight so he won't get worked until tomorrow although wouldn't you know it, more high winds are forecast!

He'll get hacked on Saturday (weather permitting!!) and again on Sunday with his sharer. This time of year is a bit of a nightmare as there is just so much to do that it's hard to get time to ride!