Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: English vs Western

That's awful you have been treated so badly by the RDA. I know there are some good and bad RDA centres around.

Baloo you would be more than welcome to cross into Wiltshire and have a go with my pony. He's Criollo and western trained with all the gear, but also is ridden English with all that gear. I have MS and find the Western saddle gives me greater stability but can be hard on hip joints. The saddle is heavy but like all things there is a way to pick it up which makes it all easier. For longer rides we go Western but are trying a bit of dressage so we work English for that. There is also a local Western Riding place with lovely hacks on the Downs.

Thank you Old Biddy, what an amazing offer but your a bit far away. I'm in south Wales. MS is one of the conditions they are testing me for amongst a long list of other things. I think I will try and find a place that does western riding. It will be a great and fun way to test the saddle. Maybe I will drag my mam and sister along, we share two ponies between the three of us so I can't remember the last time we all got to ride together.

I have to agree - western saddles kill my hips and back. I have eds like sez, and support is important. Dressage saddles are definitely the most supportive for me - narrow twist, deep seat, big knee rolls. I recently sat in an Australian stock saddle and didn't like that either! Same kind of seat as a western saddle and it was just flat lol.

I know I rave about these all the time but I bought a pair of k'vall stirrups and it was the best buy ever lol. I can stand in the stirrups now! Lol. I highly recommend then to any rider with stability problems.

Hope you get something sorted xx
    THE EQUINE INFORMATION EXCHANGE Equine information, not speculation.

Thank you Sadiesparkle, I've been thinking about stirrups today. I'm on a tight budget and I find my saddle comfortable, just in need of a little bit of more support. Got chased by 6 dogs today, even though I stayed on a rearing, bucking and bolting pony it set all my symptoms off and had to ride back to my yard shaking from head to foot (stupid neurological condition- hope the doctors can find what it is soon). After that I've decided to purchase a body protector and look at stirrups and anything else I can think of to give me a bit more support.

The k'vall stirrups look interesting, will look into getting a pair

I think they do a trial period with them now - of you were closer you could have tried mine! my left leg has a mind of its own, and flails a bit. My stirrups really helped with that, they kind of lock your lower leg in, improving balance and stability :-) I sound like i'm selling them lol, but they have completely changed my riding for the better xx
    THE EQUINE INFORMATION EXCHANGE Equine information, not speculation.

Thank you, they do sound as though they are worth trying x

We have a friend with fairly bad fybro, and we have Australian stock saddles - she has ridden our horses in them and said she would never g back to a GP or western saddle - you get the seat size of an English saddle so you don't move around so much, and the comfort of an armchair with the added security of the "ears" on the saddle. They pretty much sit along the mid thigh area ......... So comfy. We also have a western saddle sitting in the spare bedroom that got used about 5 times before the stock saddles came along - and that is where it has stayed since their arrival ;-)

I have been looking at the Australian stock saddles over the past few days, they look as secure as the western saddles. The stock saddles don't look too wide unlike the western saddles . I might have to look around for a second hand one or ask everyone to put money in and get me one as a wedding present . Where did you get your stock saddles from? I'm a but worried about fitting them as I have no experience with stock saddles.

They are more familiar than you would think on the fitting side of things - more like English saddles to fit so you look for the same things.
    We have both a wintec and a bates version, the latter we imported from Australia at huge cost of about 1500 after import taxes etc. Th wintec we got from Horsatack in Milton Keynes for about 650, but these have now gone up to 999 brand new. There are quite a few on eBay at the moment, but you really must avoid the Indian leather cheap ones from the US as the fit is awful, but also some of the Aussie flocked saddles are a terrible fit too, although many people seem to think that they will fit any horse (just chuck it on and get on with it type of attitude)!!!!!!
    If you type in wintec onto eBay rather than stock saddle you should get a few more on the site to look at and I looked the other day there were about 10 on there. I know some people don't like winters etc but they both fit my boys perfectly (both criollos but completely different shapes - one like a TB, the other like a welsh cob). I have a degenerative spine and these are so comfy, I cannot praise them highly enough. It's a shame you aren't nearer or you could come and have a play in ours to see if they are for you or not. However the wintec sand bates do have a good resale value if they are not your cup of tea.