Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sherlock!

Quote Originally Posted by shoniedaspony View Post
    And I thought you had just spent the whole time drooling over Benedict Cumberbatch....!
    Nooooooo. I watch it for the intellectual stimulus, as well as the perving potential
    Only when things do not interest one, can one give a really unbiased opinion; no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is absolutely valueless.

Did anyone seen Derren Brown's cameo?

And I hadn't realised Sherlock's parent were Benedicts actual parents!!
    Visit Mico

Brilliant, utterly brilliant. We sat on the edge of our seats.

I must admit, having never watched any Derren Brown, I had no idea it was him ! I recognised Benedict's parents from their other work straight away though and had to do a double-take to check it really was them!

I just think the 'boring' solution makes the most sense as something that would have feasibly happened . It put me in mind of the series Jonathan Creek – when people begged the character to explain his magic tricks he warned that the explanation was ‘mind-numbingly banal’ and that the best, most convincing illusions are often the most simply executed. I think that is plausible here; Gatiss and Moffat knew that fans were expecting a lot of the explanation, so to give them the most obvious and least imaginative one actually holds true to how it would have in all likelihood been performed in real life (with Anderson voicing what many viewers would be thinking, that it was just a tad boring). It’s not incredibly inventive but that’s not the point of it, the point is that it should work. Then by leaving the ambiguity there as to whether he told Anderson the truth or not, any viewer can either embrace or dismiss the explanation as they choose.

Personally though, I reckon it was the truth. Anderson to me represents all of the mad theories bandied about by the Sherlock fandom over the last few years, and the disappointment that they would feel with a ‘normal’ explanation. He has spent years concocting wild theories; of course he’s not going to believe a blindingly obvious one, especially not from the Holmes boys. And Sherlock would have known that. He knows Anderson and how he thinks. And wouldn’t it be perfect Sherlock-esque humour to wind up the man who helped ruin his name by telling him the absolute truth, knowing that he’d never believe the simplicity of it all, then sit back and watch him drive himself potty over it? It just seems that Sherlock would be more inclined to tell Anderson the truth than anyone else – not for the purpose of being honest with him, but for the purpose of driving him crackers for his own amusement!

I just adored the whole episode, there were a couple of niggles here and there but on the whole it was a lovely return to the programme and I really liked how brave they got with it. They just feel so established now that it felt like they wanted to have a play about with it, have some fun and explore an evolution of the tone of the programme – I think they pulled it off marvellously. Same with Cumberbatch's Sherlock and how comfortable he seemed testing new waters with the character - he owns this incarnation of Holmes, it's his, and I think it was a lovely, confident display of him taking the character and just running with it. But good old Benedict is a pleasure to watch whatever he does .

ETA: Of course I don't feel I can mention Benedict's acting without praising Martin's too - the look John gave Sherlock when he saw him for the first time could break a heart! Martin was just so beautifully subtle as usual - he's always such a class act and even with that ridiculous moustache I took him seriously! And Mycroft's 'oh ******!' at losing Operation to Sherlock had me in such fits of laughter I think I must've missed the next 30seconds of the episode . The whole thing just felt like they all had an absolute blast making it .

I've gone and done a really sadact thing and pre-ordered the DVDs before I've even seen the whole season . No regrets so far though .
    Last edited by katieandtoby; 03-01-2014 at 00:45.

I really enjoyed it I thought the solution with the blue Mat was like something Derren Brown would do.

I saw him posting on fb last week about how he thought he knew how it was done that got me more than anything when he appeared

We love Sherlock We don't watch a lot of TV but Sherlock is one that completely glues us to the screen. Having read a lot of Doyle's works growing up (I must admit I was never terribly keen on the filmed versions ) I was dubious about whether they'd pull it off when A Study In Pink was first broadcast, but I should have known better than to doubt the great Mark Gatiss (and Steven Moffat and Steve Thompson, I guess I loved Moffat's Jekyll series ). Benedict and Martin are both brilliantly cast and while I will concede that the combination of BC's looks and Sherlock's brains makes fab celeb-crush fodder, I wish Sherlock was my best mate

I loved Derren Brown's cameo! He's one of those entertainers that I love watching, but wouldn't ever want to see live or meet in person! I will never forget some of the things he came out with about audience members at one of his televised shows that we clearly either right on the money or the audience were playing along very convincingly, but it gave me absolute chills.

I was initially very scornful of Elementary. It sounded like a seriously dumbed down duplicate at first, almost a case of "well if the Brits are doing Holmes, we'd better be doing Holmes as well," which hasn't always translated particularly well from UK shows to US in the past (thinking particularly about the awful US Red Dwarf - why?? WHY?? and the complete scrambling that Starz made of Torchwood.) However, Mr Sez is much more open-minded than I am when it comes to TV and movies, and given that we tend to stream TV to our computers, I had to sit next to him while he watched season one of Elementary. Oh, how I whinged! But by the end of the third or fourth episode, I was sidling over and driving him potty with "who's that supposed to be?" and "OMG, Joan Watson? WHY?!" and later "What have they done to Mrs Hudson? Nooooo!" and finally, I succumbed and got sucked in It doesn't really have that flavour of Sherlock Holmes that Moffat and Gatiss have managed to preserve, but it's fun viewing nevertheless.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

Am I the only one that has a bit of a crush on Moriarty...?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I do not share the crush on Moriarty (although I know several people who do - but Sherlock is the cause of the swoons in our household ) but I did love Moriarty as a villain! Bit sad he's gone really, I always enjoyed how clever and completely off the wall he was, it made for very fun viewing. Hopefully his replacement will be just as enjoyable though .

Loving Elementary too.

So...Who's the new baddie? My money is on Mycroft
    Visit Mico