Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body protector yes or no?

Default Body protector yes or no?

If this is in the wrong section please feel free to move to the right bit :-)
    Ok so my 2youngest have been having lessons for just over 12 months. They have just started to learn jumping positions and are starting to pop a jump (6" if that)
    We have just been out and had them fitted for body protectors (Christmas presents) but this afternoon we got told at the yard that they don't need them and to return them and save the money.
    Now my opinion is its safety equipment and should be worn if at all possible but a couple of people have said its too restricting for a young developing rider, others have said they would only use it for cross country or when riding "naughty" horses.

So what's everybody's opinion and who uses it and when ?

Thanks
    Rob
    Last edited by Rob74; 30-11-2013 at 21:41.

ignore them, what a load of irresponsible idiots they are. I always wear a BP, every - single - time I ride. Overkill perhaps but I prefer to minimise risks and its an agreement I made with my husband when I bought my first horse. As a mother now, my child will most certainly be wearing one too when the time comes. Are your kids in the pony club? I stand to be corrected but Im pretty sure their rules are that BPs must be worn for jumping, either that or they strong advise it. Its not about the height they are jumping, ponies do all sorts of funny things, running out and dirty stops not to mention tripping and getting legs tangled and riders are a lot more likely to hit the deck.

You are definitely doing the right thing be getting them body protectors, ignore the silly comments

Quote Originally Posted by four socks View Post
    ignore them, what a load of irresponsible idiots they are. I always wear a BP, every - single - time I ride. Overkill perhaps but I prefer to minimise risks and its an agreement I made with my husband when I bought my first horse. As a mother now, my child will most certainly be wearing one too when the time comes. Are your kids in the pony club? I stand to be corrected but Im pretty sure their rules are that BPs must be worn for jumping, either that or they strong advise it. Its not about the height they are jumping, ponies do all sorts of funny things, running out and dirty stops not to mention tripping and getting legs tangled and riders are a lot more likely to hit the deck.
    That's just about word for word what I thought when they said no need lol

I don't want to make the kids look out of place but I NEVER want to be in a position of thinking "if only I had made them ware it"
    They have just started in the jr pony club but they all start some place

Quote Originally Posted by beating_hooves View Post
    You are definitely doing the right thing be getting them body protectors, ignore the silly comments
    Thank you :-)
    I think we just needed somebody to reassure us as it is a lot of money in these times

Quote Originally Posted by Rob74 View Post
    That's just about word for word what I thought when they said no need lol

I don't want to make the kids look out of place but I NEVER want to be in a position of thinking "if only I had made them ware it"
    They have just started in the jr pony club but they all start some place
    i would possibly be considering looking at somewhere else for lessons if they don’t consider your children’s safety Most kids wear BP’s for jumping at least these days so they wont look out of place. Also, the newer style BP’s are not restricting and your yard sounds a bit old fashioned in their thinking, I forget Im wearing mine and frequently drive home from comps with it still on! As you say, far better to think ah well, perhaps they would have been a bit less restricted and developed a better position over a fence if they hadn’t been wearing bp’s (which is tosh anyway), than, well they were never restricted but I sure as hell wish they’d had a BP on and weren’t now lying in hospital with a nasty injury that could have been prevented!

It was my impression that many, if not all, BHS recognised riding school require body protectors to be worn by all children learning to jump. I think there was a notice at the school I went to for lessons last winter. My grand daughters all wear bps when they ride.

Quote Originally Posted by four socks View Post
    i would possibly be considering looking at somewhere else for lessons if they don’t consider your children’s safety

Yes I was an every ride wearer until I got my dressage saddle (the cantle is too hight) but I wear my air jacket when jumping and my BP when hacking.

I wear one all the time.
    "The past is only the future with the lights on" - +44