Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacking round the gallops

Default Hacking round the gallops

Anyone else do this?

I don't ride my two in more than walk or trot on the gallops together as they fight to be infront and try to race each other. On a hack on a track or the road they dont seem to mind so much although my mare can sometimes want to be infront and jog only settling infront.

I can walk, trot and canter her now on the gallops (this has taken time lol) and she is great behaving impeccably even in strong winds. I havent galloped her on it yet as was trying to teach her to behave as she was tanking previously.

The other day on it together she was very difficult unless infront and it all kind of fell apart

Anyone have this issue with theirs in company hacking off road or on the gallops/in the open?

I just sit there and talk to her and she will settle on her own but if in company its hard cos then she sets my hubby's horse off and then all hell breaks loose with them both

Pea hates behind in behind with my Mum, but not with me, it's really bizarre! He just jogs and generally fidgets until he can get back in front but is quite settled once he is there. Isn't a problem for us as Toby couldn't give a hoot what that silly ginger thing is doing and he prefers to be in behind, so works well!

Mine does it with anyone and any other horse unless summer time and warm and out at grass and all lethergic.

I took her on with the racers one day to try and teach her when to pull up as there is a hill I dont want her hurtling down and round the corner and they are quite well behaved but she tanked past them in trot then I had bother holding her so took her off as didnt want her kicking them off or meeting them head on coming the other way as they turn for last lap. I was affronted lol and havent took her on since unless on her own as she is an angel then and its fun for us both.

I might just avoid it in company until she is out at grass again and then try again. She gets turn out but not the same so a bit fresh at times in the open. On the hacking track she wants infront too but doesnt mind rest of the year. Must be a winter thing lol.

I guess I should remind myself she was a nightmare on it at all initially and she has progressed and even behaved like an angel on it on her own in the wind!!

It used to be my favourite thing, as I could really get the horse working, extended trot and a good fast walk, as they always anticipate.

I only school on the gallops alone though, not in company. Alone, I had control, even though she wanted to go flat out, I could keep her in whatever pace I wanted, and get the most from it.

I would do a full schooling session, so starting off walking, good bit of trot work, stopping and changing direction if required, and then have a blast, before returning to trot work and eventually cooling down in walk.

I guess it helped that we had lessons on a yard where we used the gallops to warm up/cool off for lessons, so the horses were used to it.

In the winter, we'd have the arena lights of course, but the gallops would be pitch black, but because it was railed, and perfectly consistent all the way round, we could take our feet out of stirrups and just let the horses walk off around in the darkness, they'd always do it with purpose but you could trust them not to take off.

Yes I love it on my own with her as she really works and does as she is asked as well.

I love it with the racers in a group of three for the craic though and thought be good fun with my OH but dont think this will work my two together vying for pole position haha.

My boy is really quiet to hack. He is never strong and will walk trot canter or gallop whenever I like I'm very lucky he never assumes he's cantering bless him. Think it must be why he was so awful at racing lol.

We have a favourite gallop which we say we must walk up one day but galloping is much more fun Sometimes Belle is a bit tricky at the start but we love to race (my hacking friend and I) and let them go as fast as they like, but I can always touch my reins and pull Belle up, often I do this to let the other horse catch up and then we Go again!
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bexnstar View Post
    My boy is really quiet to hack. He is never strong and will walk trot canter or gallop whenever I like I'm very lucky he never assumes he's cantering bless him. Think it must be why he was so awful at racing lol.
    Lol dont knock it!

Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    We have a favourite gallop which we say we must walk up one day but galloping is much more fun Sometimes Belle is a bit tricky at the start but we love to race (my hacking friend and I) and let them go as fast as they like, but I can always touch my reins and pull Belle up, often I do this to let the other horse catch up and then we Go again!
    Ive spent so long getting mine out of racing mode for shows etc and general safety in the open that i dont want them back on gallops and thinking go like the hammers of hell lol but we will one day when they have learned to canter together under control although i am going to soon on my own when only me to worry about haha

Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    We have a favourite gallop which we say we must walk up one day
    Mum and I have this problem every time we hit a good bit of ground