Thread: Driving a mini?

Default Driving a mini?

Would a 9hh Shetland pony be able to pull me in a cart (I weigh about 9 1/2 stone)? It would only be for a little walk around the fields and down the lane. Or would we need to get another Shetland to drive in pairs?

I've been playing with the yards Shetland today, had a little go a long lining her and it's very clear she's done it before. We were weaving in and out of cones , stopping and starting, doing figures of eights, ect!

She was bought from a dealers yard who spun my novice YO a load of rubbish (Claiming she was backed and suitable for a child on and off lead rein as her son used to ride her a was little boy, a bit odd considering her son is now 15 and the pony is only 5...) She hasn't been backed to be ridden but is happy enough for YO's little girl to sit on her and walk up and down but wont go off the lead and refuses to trot under saddle.

Evidently I know nothing at all about driving so I would get some lessons but thought I'd ask if she would be suitable before going out and getting a little cart for her. Also does anyone know of any good driving books for beginners?

Last edited by NatandShell; 30-01-2014 at 14:05.

So I came on to this thread expecting to read about cars
    Sorry I can't help, but she is very cute!

I ****** hope so as little jack will be pulling me and josh soon ! LOL

You'll be fine. 32" Tommy pulls me perfectly fine, and sometimes with another in, and I am considerably heavier than you are!!

Have a butchers at Sallie Walrond's Breaking a Horse to Drive, you'll not go far wrong with any of her books.

And I may just have a cart for sale...