Thread: Le Trec practise

Default Le Trec practise

After my fun on the gallops I tried some of our homemade trec obstacles in preparation for next sundays lesson an comp (eek that will be some craic lol)....

Other half did not take any pics but I took a video of him doing a steady lap on the gallops then the trec

The underneath one was funny but he did it so well considering so tall and I love this one afterwards in the yard

I put these on fb and got a message from Donegal Trec saying that they saw I was practising and looking forward to meeting us and our horses which was nice i thought.

There are 20 in the comp and its their proper league s I am not expecting a placing but am looking forward to the fun element of something different and less pressure while an outing for the neds.

I am hoping the predicted snow does not cause issues getting there though!

Stunning horse and your yard looks lush!

Nicely done under the low rail, I would have been left headless if i'd attempted that one lol!!

Good luck with the comp

Quote Originally Posted by poniesrule View Post

Nicely done under the low rail, I would have been left headless if i'd attempted that one lol!!

Good luck with the comp
    I am the eternal headless horsewoman when attempting low branches. I made my own out of cones and wooden poles then using green garden sticks from wilkos - in hand is fine, but ridden is another matter! Not got my stuff out for a while actually... If you want any ideas on what else you can use - get your hands on an old swingball and take the ball off, attach a longline and use that as a May pole, get some plastic fence posts to use for weaving, rubber matting makes for a good footbridge, esp when you paint it to look like wood and fence off a small circle and teach immobility.

Good luck, I love trec, it's so much fun.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by poniesrule View Post

Good luck with the comp
    Its hard cos when its at comps its often so low the horse can barely fit under never mind with a rider cos 17.1hh!

Thanks its our first one other than one with a riding club 5 years ago lol

Quote Originally Posted by ponylover88 View Post
    I am the eternal headless horsewoman when attempting low branches. I made my own out of cones and wooden poles then using green garden sticks from wilkos - in hand is fine, but ridden is another matter! Not got my stuff out for a while actually... If you want any ideas on what else you can use - get your hands on an old swingball and take the ball off, attach a longline and use that as a May pole, get some plastic fence posts to use for weaving, rubber matting makes for a good footbridge, esp when you paint it to look like wood and fence off a small circle and teach immobility.

Good luck, I love trec, it's so much fun.
    Yeah at our first yard when we did it with riding club 5 years ago we used rubber matting but we wanted plastic as our two are fine as stabled rubber matting and wanted to test them on something might spook at. We used bamboo cane for the underneath overhanging one but hadnt any and decided to go for it when no wind to blow everything over on a rare calm day lol.

How do you get the plastic fence posts to stay upright though?

Quote Originally Posted by jam14 View Post
    Yeah at our first yard when we did it with riding club 5 years ago we used rubber matting but we wanted plastic as our two are fine as stabled rubber matting and wanted to test them on something might spook at. We used bamboo cane for the underneath overhanging one but hadnt any and decided to go for it when no wind to blow everything over on a rare calm day lol.

How do you get the plastic fence posts to stay upright though?
    Stuck them in the ground at 5m intervals (trec length). And you'd be surprised at the matting - mine are stabled on rubber matting, but try get my mare over it as an obstacle? She thinks you're that bizarre you may well have grown two heads! Let's just say she's much better with just the wooden footbridge (we hack over one occasionally)!

i was recommended by the treccies to use the green poles from wilkos for the low branches as they're slightly weighted so stop the wind from blowing them off. I need them where I am as even on a nonwindy day, it's still too windy to have normal ones up unfortunately!
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

Mine will walk over a bridge or man made obstacle bridge fine but the problem was anything plastic and crackly but getting better.

I was told by the trec organisers to use the bamboo and works well but havent done it in the wind lol.