Thread: Did anybody catch the new Jonathan Creek?

Default Did anybody catch the new Jonathan Creek?

****SPOILERS!****

I have to say I was terribly disappointed .

My favourite Creek era has always been the Maddy years so perhaps I am just getting nostalgic about a programme/episode structure which hasn't actually existed for over a decade, but it felt like it had completely lost its touch. The mystery was no mystery, which is a bit of an issue for a show billed as a mystery drama (and the subplot mysteries were so easy even I could work them out). Jonathan Creek himself felt to me like just a normal bloke who happened to be played by Alan Davies; I felt like the poor man barely got a line in edgeways and no chance at all to explore that 'oddball genius' angle he played so well in the old episodes. I just felt rather bored, and a bit like the whole episode had the energy and tension of a deflating balloon.

I'd love to know what everyone thought though (especially those who aren't long term JC fans) because as much as it is a failing, I will admit to being slightly stuck in the past when it comes to JC. I have always been an ardent fan of the Caroline Quentin years, a contented viewer of the Julia Sawalha years and a casual viewer of the Sheridan Smith years. So I suppose I am perhaps not being fair in judging how the show has developed over the years. It may be that I just miss the old structure and characters and am slightly grumpy about what they have done to Jonathan (ie, give him a normal job with a suit, take away the windmill and the coat and give him a wife who doesn't seem to approve of anything he does. All that's left is making Alan chop his hair off!)

When it comes to the Sherlock mickey-take, I think it would have been brilliant if the episode measured up! It's perfectly OK - and funny - to mock a show when your own offering is great in its own way (Galaxy Quest building their entire premise on spoofing Star Trek for instance), but I just felt like the JC episode had nothing to offer back? Having a giggle at the expense of another show isn't a problem as long as you have something decent to offer yourself !

Perhaps I am being unfair , and far too nostalgic. I enjoyed Davies as usual, but there just wasn't enough of him to enjoy! It felt like all the cleverness (and fun!) of the episode was sucked out by doing the Columbo style early reveal (surely half the fun of watching JC was seeing if you could pierce together the clues before the characters) and I personally find his wife irritating . I just feel like the unique appeal of the old JC has just - well - fizzled away?
    Last edited by katieandtoby; 01-03-2014 at 11:50. Reason: Added a Spoilers warning!

Wish I hadnt opened this!!!!! I'm just watching it now!!!!!

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Eeek! Sorry I should have added a spoilers warning - I shall edit my post to see if I can!

(my opinion is of course just my opinion , there is no reason to say others won't enjoy it!!

I agree with everything you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

I've got to agree not fab!!!

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Definitely not a patch on the old days no, but I still found it highly entertaining. The bit when they touch hands under the floorboards had me in stitches... and the robot hoover I was also quite hung up on how the young bloke looked like a young David Tennant